Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which .17 HRM >

Which .17 HRM

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which .17 HRM

Old 04-24-2005, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default Which .17 HRM

I am going out to buy a new .17 HMR. People have suggested the .17 Mach2.. not interested. I have to decide between a Marlin and a Savage. Which would you buy and why. I have a Marlin 880 in .22lr. Not a bad little gun but I'm not too impressed with the grouping. Then only reason I am considering these two is because I just had a kid and am saving for a new house so anything above $250 US, is out of the question. If I had the money I'd probably go for an Anschutz or Cooper. Also I'm looking for a bolt action rifle, not a breal barrel or other single shot rifle.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which .17 HRM

I know of two guys that have the Marlin .17 bolt rifles. One, well, it's the shooter not the gun I'm sure. the other loves his. Out to 100yrds is awesome he says. I'm not big on Marlin's rimfire bolt guns just out of thier looks. (I know, I know) Personally, I'd buy a Ruger but second chocie would be the Marlin.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks, I was kind of leaning towards the Marlin. I'm not the biggest fan of the Marlin or Savage bolt. The actioin is way too sloppy. But I get what I can get. Probably end up buying it then later carving up a nice piece of wood (with help from a woodworker friend) and replacing the stock. I'm mostly into how it shoots. Not a big fan of taking beautiful guns into the field. I just end up beating the snot out of them anyway.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Savage 17 HMR and it shoots great. Only problem I have with it is the way the magazine lockup is sort of tricky and leaves something to be desired. Can't argue with the accuracy though.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

My brother has a Marlin 22 mag and that is an accurate gun, his friend has a Savage 17 HMR. I think the Marlin is a higher quality gun and walmart has them for about $175. I didnt like the Savage his friend had.

I would get the Ruger before the Marlin or Savage, the action is better and it has a 9 round rotary magazine that is a lot better than the Marlin or Savage. You can also easily interchange the 17 HMR and .22 Mag barrels. It also comes with the Ruger rings and bases like the M77. My 77/22LR will shoot a 1/2" group at 50 yards.

Good luck
Old 04-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the Ruger. However rile 1564 said he has to keep it under 250.00. You aren't going to find the Ruger for that price.Both the Marlin's and the Savage's are nice little BA.I have a Savage 17HMR which I was going to finally try out last week.I got messing with a new Ruger M-77 7mm08 and never got to the Savage.It does appear to be a decent rifle for the money. Reports have it they shoot very well.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

i wona marlin and its is teh best shooter ive ever owned, the marlin holds 2 more shells then the savage. heres some pics of my groups at 50 yards.
the top group is 5 shots
the middle dime i shot 3 times
the bottom group is only 3 shots

Old 04-25-2005, 12:24 PM

Hi rile1564,

Earlier I picked up a Savage, set it up, and then gifted it to my brother and his boys. That little .17 HMR would shoot under an inch at 100 yards; I was very impressed with it. I'd have no qualms recommending one to someone else.

Dave
Old 04-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

I'll add a vote for the Savage. Bought one a little over a month ago with a 3-9x32 scope for about $280. Sweet shooting gun. As stated before hte magazine lock leaves some to be desired but it can be taken out and replaced with one hand once you get the hang of it. I've got the stainless synthetic with the bull barrel and I don't think I would make any other decision.