Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sako finnlight >

Sako finnlight

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sako finnlight

Old 04-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sako finnlight

MinnFinn, I’m not sure where you got that information on 1/2” groups with the Sako & Tikka rifles but I got this info from Berettas web site. (All Sako and Tikka rifles prior to leaving the factory must fire a 1", 5 shot group, at 100 yards)
Old 04-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the help But are the worth the money ?
Yes they are worth the money. When I bought mine I compared it many times to every other stainless synthetic I could find. At one point we had a ruger, remington, browning, and weatherby on the counter and it was obviously the better rifle. Mine shoots 1/2" groups with very hot hunting loads and is the best rifle I have ever owned. I bought a 7mm rem mag and in 3 seasons have taken 2 pronghorn, 2 caribou and a bull moose all with 1 shot each! Make sure the serial # is not part of the recoil and enjoy the rifle. I went with the Sako rings and bases also. Extemely rugged.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:11 PM

what serial numbers should i look at so i dont get one with a bad barrel
Old 04-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smitty, the serial number is located on the opposite side of the bolt action, so if it’s a right hand action the numbers will be on the left side just in front of the lever to remove the bolt. My rifle serial number starts with Sako SM and then the number. You can’t miss it.

If you’re interested take a look at the underside of the bolt where the arm extends to the knob. You will see three numbers on the underside of the arm. These numbers match the last three numbers of the serial number on that rifle. The bolt was custom finished for that rifle. This is just one of the many things I found unique about the Sako.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

what serial numbers should i look at so i dont get one with a bad barrel
You shouldn't have to worry about that now. All the effected guns have been identified and returned to the factory for replacement. Any Finnlight you buy now will be either pre or post recall.

Mike
Old 04-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trailer - You're correct about the information at Beretta's site. But I've also found in their literature that every Tikka and Sako barrel (Tikka's have Sako barrels) are factory tested to shoot within 1 MOA or under 1" - 3 shots at their factory. So, I should not have said 1/2 in. at the factory. But my experience is under ideal conditions they do shoot very close to that level consistently. Besides, I'm an optimist about Tikkas. :-)

My experience shooting my T3 .300 WM, rings that come with the rifle, Nikon Monarch 3-9 X 40, with Premium Winchester ammo, with reasonable time in between shots as not to overheat the barrel, I consistently have groups within 1" at 200 yards from a bench. That's out of the box.

Your point then is what?? Tikka is or isn't a very accurate rifle out of the box? My experience says they are very accurate rifles, finely made and very competitively priced.

Just a couple short articles:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...0/ai_113853244

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl..._n9317287/pg_1

Here are just a couple quotes of people who know have to say:
"The heart of the T3 is our hyper-accurate cold-hammer forged barrel, sturdily anchored to a silky-smooth action. The trigger is crisp and positive, and is easily adjustable for weight of pull (2-4lbs). This barrel action is designed to give you unbeatable out-of-the-box accuracy, the same accuracy for which Tikka rifles are gaining such a dedicated following here in the USA." http://www.ableammo.com/mall/guns_ri..._t3_hunter.asp

"Every single Sako and Tikka rifle leaving the Riihimaki, Finland factory is range-tested to shoot 1" groups or less at 100 yards. This is the kind of quality control that has earned our rifles the worldwide reputation for accuracy they undoubtedly deserve. "
http://www.berettausa.com/communitie...purchasing.htm

MINNFINN
Old 04-23-2005, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

MinnFinn, no problem about the 1/2” group thing. I wasn’t trying to be a smart a$$. I was going to say good luck with your T3 but when you get 1” groups at 200 yards I’ll rephrase it to have fun. Don’t need any luck.