Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger M77 243 >

Ruger M77 243

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger M77 243

Old 04-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger M77 243

I have a Ruger M77 243 about 20-25 years old in good condition. I am having trouble with the bolt catching on the silver insert in the magazine. (sorry don't know the exact name). Also it will not cycle the rounds with out finger adjustment. ANY ADVICE.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:09 PM

Default RE: Ruger M77 243

Is this a new problem or one that has gradually developed over the years.
The first thing I would do is give it a good cleaning. A lot of times gun problems can be solved by cleaning and very light amount of oil.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:31 AM

ORIGINAL: haugenna
I have a Ruger M77 243 about 20-25 years old in good condition. I am having trouble with the bolt catching on the silver insert in the magazine. (sorry don't know the exact name). Also it will not cycle the rounds with out finger adjustment. ANY ADVICE.
From your description it sounds a little like you're saying the bolt is catching on the magazine follower. I'd take it apart, clean the magazine box, spring and follower.
Check for any burrs on the follower. If it still gives you trouble, try replacing the magazine follower and spring. It's simple to do.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

If none of the cleaning suggestions work, call Ruger up and explain your problem, they have very good customer service. My friend purchased a used Ruger 77 and it was missing a trigger guard screw. Ruger sent him one free of charge. The also did a lot of work on my #1 for no charge.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

I followed your advice on a thorough cleaning. It helped, but every 1 out of ten it will stick. I am going to replace the follower and spring. That could be the problem. Has any had these problems with any gun?????
Old 04-17-2005, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: haugenna
I followed your advice on a thorough cleaning. It helped, but every 1 out of ten it will stick. I am going to replace the follower and spring. That could be the problem. Has any had these problems with any gun?????
What is sticking? Prior, you indicated the bolt was catching on the follower. Is this still the case, or is the follower now sticking/failing to raise up properly.
If the follower is sticking, did you clean the insides of the magazine box also?
Check for any burrs on the follower. The edges on the sides should be clean & smooth.

I've never experienced this problem myself, but then none of my rifles are 20-25yr. old.
I trade/sell 'em off too frequently Always looking for something else to "tinker" with.
In any case, replacing the follower and spring is easy to do, and not expensive.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

The bolt is catching on a clean burless follower. It is not raising properly. I can eat off any part of that gun now. It is spotless. The Hoppes number 9 might leave a nasty aftertaste but it is clean. This was my fathers gun and I kinda took over ownership after it sat in the gun cabinet for years. Looks like i need to replace the spring and follower.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Also,
I cannot get JUST ONE ROUND to sit properly in the magazine. Two will sit fine, one will not.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:49 PM

Okay. Sounds like you'll have to replace the magazine spring. I take it the back of the
follower is raising up on ya'. Contact Ruger customer service, and I'd request a new
magazine follower & spring. Good luck.

ps: I checked, and it appears you can also get the parts from Numrich Gun Parts.
Looks like less than $20.
Here is a link:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.a...l=1910zM77&MC=
Old 04-17-2005, 06:07 PM

Sounds like everyone else has you on the right track. I just wonder if that rifle has been stored loaded for long lengths of time. That might be why the follower spring is weak. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Ruger M77 243

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.