Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Question about new Savage rifles. >

Question about new Savage rifles.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about new Savage rifles.

Old 04-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about new Savage rifles.

I have not been around em that long but with all the talk of the "good ol days" gun manufacturing from most companies, wouldnt this be considered the good old days for Savage? It would seem like they are making the best pieces they have made to date now. Its amazing how far they have turned it around..not saying they never made good guns which I know they did...especially the 99, but would ya say the guns they are making now could be considered the best they have made yet? That accu-trigger is worth the price of admission on their new guns.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:13 AM

Default RE: Question about new Savage rifles.

Back in the mid 70s when they went to the Satinslide bolt guide they broached a slot for the lug guide to run in through the receiver. It went all the way through the ring which wasn't strictly necessary, but was cheaper. The upshot of that was some of the rings came apart when a case seperated on firing. If they've done away with that, you may be right. Mine is one of the very early ones made in 1959, and has managed to avoid the extractor problems that led to the redesign in '64, or '68 whenever.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes I agree!!! they have really hit a homerun with the new accutrigger, coupled with their outstanding accuracy. You just cant go wrong getting one of these new guns.....my only thought ......how much would it really cost to add a nice piece of wood under them?? I'd be willing to pay extra!
Old 04-12-2005, 06:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Savage rifles have always been a good value in my gun buying life time. I sold guns for quite a few years from about 1970 on. Even the 340 although really ugly was a good shooting rifle. I have not heard anything but good about the accu-trigger. I don't own one yet but I have shot a few. I liked their selection of calibers better about ten years ago. They have reduced their selection by plenty although I know this is a money saving move. I think the competion is fierce in the gun industry. I think we have Savage to thank for the fact that there are economy grades of guns on the market. The other makers have to have a answer for the quality and value of the Savage rifles. I would like to soon purchase an accu-trigger Savage but I would like to have a 280 which they don't make. The 7mm-08 may have to be the choice. Or the 270 WSM.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems like we are always reading about gun companies goin the other way on here with quality. Looks like Savage is tryin to go the improvement route. Them ol 340's were definitely shooters. I guess they have always made an accurate decent gun...but they sure seem to have stepped it up.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

For 2005, Savage has added a model with a good looking piece of wood. Finally!!!! The Model 14 and 114 are head and shoulders above what they have been putting out as far as looks go. Check them out.

[link]http://www.savagearms.com/14u.htm[/link]

[link]http://www.savagearms.com/114u.htm[/link]
Old 04-12-2005, 12:59 PM
bigcountry

yes I agree!!! they have really hit a homerun with the new accutrigger, coupled with their outstanding accuracy. You just cant go wrong getting one of these new guns.....my only thought ......how much would it really cost to add a nice piece of wood under them?? I'd be willing to pay extra!
I think if they would off a top model, it would sell. Some real nice blueing, and top quality lumber, and I think people would buy it.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

I've shot a couple with accu-triggers off a bench. very nice. but i wonder if i would like it in the field. one more thing to have to think about
Old 04-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

For my taste they could forget the wood. I like the synthetic stocks much better. I can take them out and knock them around and who cares. Give me a rifle that shoots well and I am a happy guy, its even better if it doesn't cost an arm and leg. Of course thats just my opinion.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing I never liked about the savages was the blind magazine. I was quite happy with my 112 in 223, heavy barrel and the trigger adjusted to 20 oz. and any 50 gr bullet I loaded with 748 always inside of an inch off the bench. That is till I decided to go cattin with it, now it's a 223 AI. I've always thought they poduced a decent gun for the money, not the best looking but it do go boom.

Quick Reply: Question about new Savage rifles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.