Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What is your favorite Gun of all time? >

What is your favorite Gun of all time?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What is your favorite Gun of all time?

Old 04-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What is your favorite Gun of all time?

No custom guns of course a regular stock factory gun? What is your favorite of all time? And do you own it or have owned it?

Mine would be a Winchester Model 70 in a .270 from before the 60's. I have a friend that has his dad's .270 from the 1950's its a beautiful gun! I don't think they made any in left hand so I would have to make do with a right handed gun.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is your favorite Gun of all time?

I would love to have a Mannlicher Schoenner (or Steyr) with full length mannlicher stock, tip-off scope mounts with integral iron sights already installed in such a way that even with scope mounted you have a clear view of one of the flip up express sights set for close range. I'd want the butter knife bolt handle with the rotary magazine chambered in 7 X 57.
I have one similar but without all the bells and whistles. Mine has iron sights only, a big ball handle on the bolt, and a sporter thin stock.
Mine is real noce, but I LUST after what I described above.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

J.C.Higgins mod 50, 30-06 {FN Mauser} still have it
and many more, but the FN was my first New rifle.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

50 bmg barrett
Old 04-10-2005, 03:24 PM

Steyr Mod M, 7x57, 1/2 stock, double set triggers, Zeiss 3x9, original steyr rings/bases.

Old 04-10-2005, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor
No custom guns of course a regular stock factory gun? What is your favorite of all time? And do you own it or have owned it?
Ruger 77RLS carbine, 358Win., with Leupold 1-4x Vari-X II scope. It was a limited run
item by Ruger (non-cataloged item) for a gun shop or distributor in PA. back in the early
1990's (1990-'91 I think?). It was just pure dumb luck that I even came across this rifle.
I went by a local gunshop here to buy a box of ammo, and just happened to notice this
sitting in his rack. I knew immediately that it was not a "standard" item that I was aware of. From the moment I picked it up, it was love at first, etc. The weight & balance of this rifle just fit me perfectly. I felt like it had been made for me alone.
I ran home, and 1/2 hr. later had traded in my Marlin 45/70 for it (plus some $$$, of course).

The only ammo ever used has been the factory load by Winchester, a 200gr. bullet, which I'm guessing goes about 2400fps from the shorter barrel (19-1/4" as measured -
not 18-1/2 as often advertised/noted). Accuracy was extremely good, but I went ahead
and had the action bedded at the recoil lug area, and tang, and the barrel is free floated
now. Accuracy is even better, and now there's no shifting point of impact in wet weather
hunting. It has the adjustable trigger, and it's set at about 3-1/2#. I only sight in at 50yds. for the areas I hunt with it, but it will often keep 3 or 4 shots in one ragged hole at 50yds. if I do my part.

The deer don't go far after being hit with this one! Most have dropped where they stood, or within 10-20yds.. One time though, a nice doe came along about 30yds from my stand. I put the crosshairs on her, and cut loose. Through the scope I could see bits/pieces of wood flying all over, and she took off running. I thought, now dang, where the hell did that tree come from? It was one of the weirdest things, the trees' trunk was just the right size that the verticle crosshair covered/obscured it at that distance. Anyway, the bullet cut the tree in half, and it toppled over. Checking the ground there, I found blood, and about 20yds. further where the deer had jumped a deadfall, on the other side was a BIG splash of blood. Tracking was easy from there, and about another 75yds. I found her down/dead. The 358Win. makes big holes in deer hides, and easy blood trails to follow.

Another nice benefit, the rifle is now worth about 3x what I paid for it.
THIS ONE IS A KEEPER!
Old 04-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thats a hard one as I have had so darn many. I quess my sporterized Model 38 6.5x55 Mauser would have to be it. It grouped 5/8 of an inch with the first load I ever tried. 140 grain Hornady. I have shot about 50-60 head of big game with it and is the only rifle I own that has never even once required a second shot. Most dropped in their tracks. A couiple that I hit at nearly 300 yards ran a short ways befor folding up. I have had it for twenty years or a little more. Those were two of the longest three shots that I have ever made and don't as a rule like to even try those ranges. Many things can happen and most of them are bad.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dads Marlin 336 he bought in 1950. It was sighted in when he bought it and the scope has never been touched since. The gun has been dropped down the side of a mountain in West Texas and had everything other kind of abuse done to it but whenever you pick it up it still shoots where you aim it. My new favorite is my new .450 Marlin I bought for hog hunting. Everybody kidded me at first when I bought it but now everybody grabs it when they head out at night to go hog hunting.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:05 PM

my trusty ruger m77 7mm rem mag 2nd my rem. 742 woodsmaster 30-06
Old 04-11-2005, 11:05 AM

I'm right with you, idahoelkinstructor, my favorite rig is a 1948 model 70 in 270 Winchester.

Quick Reply: What is your favorite Gun of all time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.