Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Glass Bed?

Old 09-15-2002, 02:48 PM

Default Glass Bed?

I just got my Model 70 a few weeks ago and just got to shoot it a few days ago. After a short break in period (shoot once, clean once for 10 shots), I pulled off three shot group. It was a straight line to the right. I thought it was an obvious stock contact problem and pulled the action out of the stock. After I broke the glue from the receiver (is this common among gun manufacturers?) I didn't see anything of obvious obstruction. My question is this: Should I slowly sand bit by bit from each side of the barrel channel, left, right, and bottom, until I can slide a dollar bill down the channel or should I just go ahead and have it glass bedded? I am going to try the old card shim under the front of the receiver trick and see if this solves it but I honestly think that it will need to be free floated anyway. What do you guys think? Thanks for your opinions gentlemen.

Uplander 12
Old 09-15-2002, 06:27 PM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: Glass Bed?

I would shoot it a bit more first. I don't think I would remove wood from the sides of the barrel channel unless it is touching now. Get some inletting black from Brownells it will show you where the pressure points are. I glass bedded two of my own rifles and it was an improvement in accuracy.

SUPPORT YOUR SPORT
JOIN THE NRA

Edited by - fight4yourguns on 09/15/2002 19:28:20
Old 09-17-2002, 06:30 PM

Okay, I went out to the range today with three boxes of ammo (different brands) and still got the same results. I used Win. Ballistic Tips, Rem. Core Lokts, and Fed. Nosler Partitions. All three brands shot horizontal strings. All about 2.5"-4" across but at different points of impact on the target. As I guessed earlier, I am assuming the barrel is swelling off of the stock. You recommended that I shoot it some more before I did anything rash. So what do I do now?

Uplander 12
Old 09-18-2002, 06:40 PM

You know guys, I think it is funny that you will help someone find a rare peep sight for a gun that was discontinued from production ages ago, recommend loads for the newest magnums, and help each other find great deals on firearms that may be economically out of reach for the lesser funded hunters, but you won't even respond with the simplest of recommendations on a mere barrel clearance problem. Thanks!

And many of you claim this is the best bbs on the net. Well, it ain't worth much if the people that make it don't measure up as well.

Uplander 12
Old 09-20-2002, 09:30 AM
bigcountry

What do you want us to say really. Its like me writing in the auto forum, "hey my car pulls to the right, while braking, do you think I should get it aligned?" For wood stocks, I probably would break in and automatically have the barrel free floated. More freefloated than a synthetic. I mean alot of people have alot of different procedures with a new rifle. If I find one that I feel good about, the first thing is a trigger job, then if synthetic, I free float the barrel until I can slide the dollar bill, if wood until I can slide a businees card. Aluminum pillars, and then glass bad. In your original post, you seemed to know what you needed to do and seemed to have a plan so I didn't bother to post. Now if you said, guys I have no clue what to do, and told your problem, I am sure the posts would have been rolling in. I say if you like that 70, glass bed, and start cutting that channel out to a business card.

Old 09-20-2002, 02:44 PM

My apologies for getting roused, but the only response I got was not to do anything. Sure, I can see where you thought I knew what I was doing, but I am only slightly so experienced. I have a few .22's and a .30-30, but this is the first big game rifle project I have taken and I am just going on heresay for good judgement. But when I responded with the same persisting problem, no one offered any ideas. Sorry to offend anybody. Bigcountry, I graciously thank you for your honesty and at least telling me that I had the right idea. Due thanks is deserved.

Uplander 12
Old 09-20-2002, 05:46 PM
Host of Hosts

Sorry uplander12, I guess I missed the post the last few days. You do seem to know what you have to do already. It all depends on what you feel comfortable doing yourself. Removeing stock material isn't a big thing to do, glass bedding is a bit more tricky, but not bad if you follow instructions well, pillar bedding is better done by someone experienced. Your options are great. I'd start with freefloating as bigcountry said, if that doesn't do it go to the glass bedding, and so on. Good Luck. Let us know how it turns out.

SUPPORT YOUR SPORT
JOIN THE NRA

Old 09-20-2002, 05:48 PM
Host of Hosts

If your working on a wood stock be sure to seal the barrel channel after you remove material, if moiture gets in the channel you'll get more problems, and you'll end up running in circles trying to figure out whats going on.

SUPPORT YOUR SPORT
JOIN THE NRA

Old 09-20-2002, 09:40 PM

Thank you gentlmen, you have redeemed yourselves. I certainly appreciate the follow-up fight4yourguns. I have wondered about the sealing of the channel since I will be exposing new and fresh wood and my last question is just what do I seal it with? Once again, I give you immeasurable appreciation and hope that you can help me through the rest of this project. Thanks.

Uplander 12
Old 09-21-2002, 07:38 AM
Host of Hosts

I use Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Sealer & Filler Clear.
It comes in a 3oz brown plastic bottle. I think you can get it at wal-mart even. I usually seal all my barrel channels wheter I remove wood or not. I just think the factories tend to overlook this area a bit.
I would think that any clear wood preservative would work well for that job though. I like the Birchwood Casey product becausit dries quickly. And it goes a long way, I've done 4 or 5 rifles with it and it's still over half full.

SUPPORT YOUR SPORT
JOIN THE NRA

Edited by - fight4yourguns on 09/21/2002 08:41:36

Quick Reply: Glass Bed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.