Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anybody want to talk about BLR'S ? >

Anybody want to talk about BLR'S ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anybody want to talk about BLR'S ?

Old 04-08-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Anybody want to talk about BLR'S ?

Just got a pre 72 BLR ,JUST WONDERED IF THERE WERE ANY FANS ?
Old 04-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anybody want to talk about BLR'S ?

I had one of about the same vintage in 7mm-08. It was a good shooting rifle but would not handle reloads very well. I had to use a small base die set and it shortened the brass life. I don't like the new light weight ones near as well as the older ones. However I see where they were going with the plan. People who like lever guns like them because of the light weight and easy carry of rifles like the 94 Win. As far as levers go, they work much easier than the ones with no mechanical advantage of the more or less gear driven action of the BLR. All in all I think they are fine rifles and I am still kicking myself for not getting one in 45-70 while they were available.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Dominant Buck

I have one I bought in 1997 in .338Mag.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:24 AM

well i am glad to see some fans of these odd lever guns , this is my second one i had one in 30-06 ,when i first got it took it hunting , never shot it before i went and shot a deer at 100 yards , right through the pump station, i know i can't shoot that well, it had to be the browning.

HUNT TO LIVE LIVE TO HUNT
Old 04-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was going to get one of the new light weight ones in 450 Marlin but several people on shooting forums say the recoil is nothing less than BRUTAL. I am still considering it. I don't know if it could recoil much more than my 500 grain 45-70 cartridges. However those are loaded with Black Powder loads or Black powder level loads with 5744.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

when i first got it took it hunting , never shot it before i went and shot a deer at 100 yards ,
Please don't tell me you took a gun hunting that you had never even shot to verify that it was sighted in. That's the epitomy of irresponsible. You, or should I say the deer, got lucky.

Mike
Old 04-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

was going to get one of the new light weight ones in 450 Marlin but several people on shooting forums say the recoil is nothing less than BRUTAL. I am still considering it. I don't know if it could recoil much more than my 500 grain 45-70 cartridges. However those are loaded with Black Powder loads or Black powder level loads with 5744.
I have a Marlin .450 and it does kick quite a bit. Though my friends wife shoots it and she weighs about 120 lbs. Mine has about a 1" thick recoil pad and ported barrel so that helps. If you can handle shooting 3-1/2" magnum 12 gauge loads you should have no problem w/ a .450. We use mine for hog hunting and everytime we go out I have to fight to get to use it because everybody else wants to use it also.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:54 PM

I bought a Lightning BLR for my son it 2000. It's a .243. It has never failed him, is very pleasant to shoot and very accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:20 PM

Picked mine up a few years back at auction. Got it in .308 and it is my favourite gun. Light enough to lug around all day and handles great when still-hunting through the bush. Plus it will shoot any 165gr handload I've fed it into 1.25" or better.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

CapDog,

I'm looking at a new BLR Light Weigh (straigh stock, '81) in .308. I'm looking at it as do everything gun (Elk, bear, deer, antelope). Interested to know your opinion on this gun's versatility. I'm familiar with the .308 and it's limitations as well as the limitations of using a single gun and claiber for all game. More interested in specifics about .308 in this gun, recoil, bullet weights that work well, etc.

Thanks,

Spud

Quick Reply: Anybody want to talk about BLR'S ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.