Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Who makes the most rugged bolt action and why? >

Who makes the most rugged bolt action and why?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Who makes the most rugged bolt action and why?

Old 04-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who makes the most rugged bolt action and why?

ORIGINAL: Slamfire

Actually it is the Japanese Type 38. Tested to destruction by P. O. Ackley, he was able to put another barrel on the action and shoot it some more. ALL the other military actions were destroyed by lesser loads. The secret seems to be in the elaborate heat treating it under went, the steel was no better than anyone elses.
For pure strength measured in pressures handled at the time the tests were performed by Ackley, you are absolutely correct. I don't know if any modern actions have surpassed the pressure capacity of the Arisaka 38 since ackley preformed those test (years ago right?)....It would be interesting to hear some documented evidence to prove it.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:08 PM

Wow, wish I could have gotten in on some of those! Back in 1976, when I was a senior in high school, I drove to the mall and discovered a 1903A3 on the rack of a store that sold guns and blue jeans. It was $55. I drove straight home, got my life savings out of my drawer, and went back and bought it. These were the days when a young guy could walk through the mall with a rifle in a long plastic bag, out to his car, and not draw undue attention (or fire, for that matter!)

Ah, the good old days. At least I still have that Springfield. Never took an animal with it but it did go with me on a few hunts.

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

jmfa, back when they hit the scene here they were $9.00 at J.M.Fields
shopping center,all placed in plastic trash cans.I'm talking 1965.
I must have bought a couple a week for a year.I would go hunting with
friends that did'nt have a rifle and would give them one.The last few I had
I traded for a 1148 REM .410.The 1148 is worth alot more today,but I
wished I could have a few of them back.
I'm talking about the German 98k 8mm.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: 8mm/06

ORIGINAL: Slamfire

Actually it is the Japanese Type 38. Tested to destruction by P. O. Ackley, he was able to put another barrel on the action and shoot it some more. ALL the other military actions were destroyed by lesser loads. The secret seems to be in the elaborate heat treating it under went, the steel was no better than anyone elses.
For pure strength measured in pressures handled at the time the tests were performed by Ackley, you are absolutely correct. I don't know if any modern actions have surpassed the pressure capacity of the Arisaka 38 since ackley preformed those test (years ago right?)....It would be interesting to hear some documented evidence to prove it.
The article is in P. O. s Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders, Volume I, I believe. Not only is it too long to type in, it would be a violation of copyright, and I don't need the FBI pullin' a Ruby Ridge in Tennessee. [] I believe you can still find the Handbook at gun shows.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slam,
I'm agreeing with you. I was just curious about what may have been produced SINCE the Ackley tests, which took place some time ago. Some of the modern actions that have been produced may have surpassed the strength of the Arisakas. That was the documentation I was talking about..... Something that would prove it is now stronger than the Arisaka was/is.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:47 AM

Mosin Nagants are the absolute toughest bolt action rifles in the world.

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 04-09-2005, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: 8mm/06

Slam,
I'm agreeing with you. I was just curious about what may have been produced SINCE the Ackley tests, which took place some time ago. Some of the modern actions that have been produced may have surpassed the strength of the Arisakas. That was the documentation I was talking about..... Something that would prove it is now stronger than the Arisaka was/is.
I doubt anybody makes a stronger action, because no country has the heat treating knowledge of the Japanese. From that point on it's a matter of design. I like the Remington 700 because of the gas handling. If a cartridge seperates in the chamber the first ring around the head (the one on the bolt) obturates and keeps escaping gas in the chamber, except for the little bit that gets through the firing pin hole. I don't think they are stronger than other actions though.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:31 PM

If I recall correctly, I read an article regarding a guy who purchased a M38 in 6.5x50 caliber that had been rechambered for the .30-06 cartridge. When he was shooting a few rounds through it, he could not tolerate the unpleasant pulsation he was taking from the recoil! He then took it to a gunsmith and found out it had a 30-06 chamber, but still the initial .264" bore. Just visualize firing a .308" diameter bullet down a .264" bore at the pressures produced by the .30-06 cartridge. The piece of writing said the gun held up under this!
Old 04-10-2005, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not saying you didn't read it......................But I don't think it's possible. Maybe it was rechambered for 6.5/06...That would make more sense. If he sent a .308 diameter bullet down the tube with a /06 charge behind it there would have been more to reckon with than "unpleasant recoil".
Old 04-10-2005, 08:15 AM

8mm/06, I found the article. It's the seventh paragraph down. Clickhere.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:50 PM

Springfield 30'06, Mod 98 Mauser, Pre 1972 Sako Bofors steel with 3 lug bolt. Love those Sakos!!!!

Quick Reply: Who makes the most rugged bolt action and why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.