Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 accubond or Silver tip? >

accubond or Silver tip?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

accubond or Silver tip?

Old 03-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default accubond or Silver tip?

Im wondering which would work best for my situation. They will be chambered in 30 06 so the accubond only come in 180gr and i could get the silver tips in 150, 168 and 180gr. it will be for hunting mule deer here in alberta. what do you suggest and why?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: accubond or Silver tip?

honestly.........which ever one shoots most accuratly in your gun. All of the bullets you mentioned will do the job. Just find one that shoots well and doesnt break the bank. I assume you are buying factory ammo, so Im guessing the accubonds and the bst are probably around the same price. If all factors were the same, and all shot well and all were the same price, I would go with the accubonds. I have seen what they do with a 225 lb whitetail, and its pretty impressive.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I automatically assume everyone is a handloader so excuse me for this: The cost of the accubond is very little more than the silvertips and for those big mulies I'd be choosing it.....however if you got to buy them as factory loaded ammo.....I'd say that they just aren't that much better.....I wouldn't pay some of the prices for factory premiums I've seen out there!!!!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

i dont handload so ill be using winchester factory loads.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like the way Winchester Silvertip's fragment. I had a friend have to hit a pronghorn at 200 yds. twice with a 30-30 Win. using 150 gr. Silvertips, and still have to finish it off due to lack of penetration.

There is a difference between Winchester Silvertips, and Winchester Ballistic Silvertips.

Spend a few extra dollars and purchase the 180 gr. Accubonds, or 168 gr. - 180 gr. Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:35 PM

.30 Caliber Accubonds - 150, 180 and 200gr
.25 Caliber Accubonds - 110gr
7mm Accubonds - 140 and 160gr
Old 03-29-2005, 08:38 PM

I've been using silvertips for 3 years now and had nothing but impressive results. Shot 3 bucks with my 270, 130 grain bullet and all dropped in their tracks. One neck shot and two high behind the shoulder the latter geing a impressive stopping shot, IMHO. I've seen negative posts about this bullet but for whitetail size game I have nothing but good to say about it.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:14 PM

i also have been using the 180 gr silvertips the last three years of hunting moose and they have worked all three years, i may try the accubonds at the range to see how they shoot. i tried the ballistic tips last year at the range and they were shooting quite a bit off from the silvertips. probably if i would have adjusted my scope to the ballistic tips they would have shot fine. i have tried remingtons core lokt express at the range today and they were shooting very good, but i do not know how good they are in action, until i hear otherwise i will still stick to the silvertips.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with the accubonds! After seeing first hand what a 180 accubond will do to an 5x5 bull elk at 70 yards away. Leaving the barrel at 3380 f/s, with an inpact speed somewhere around 3300 f/s out of a .300 RUM I have no worries! If you want to see the photos of my bullet go into Nosler Reloading Forums on the Nosler webpage. Look under photos and bullets and its listed under my screen name of Idahoelkinstructor.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:38 PM

hey, i was just wondering if you guys are talking about the same accubonds i am. like i said in my other post i use the silvertips by winchester for three years, i also see that they make a 180gr accubond, these are the ones i want to try. are you talking about winchesters accubond or someone elses?

Quick Reply: accubond or Silver tip?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.