Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 tikka or savage >

tikka or savage

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

tikka or savage

Old 03-24-2005, 05:36 AM

Default tikka or savage

I am getting ready to purchase a new rifle. I am looking at a laminated stock stainless tikka t3 or a synthetic stock stainless savage. the savage comes with a muzzle break that can be turned off- not sure how i feel about it, anyone with exerience with it is welcome to weigh in. thanks ya'll
Old 03-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tikka or savage

I would go with the Tikka. I love mine (T3 Lite). The laminated/stainless version is really nice, but out of my price range. My T3 Lite was on sale, but the laminated versions were not.

Mike
Old 03-24-2005, 07:55 AM

Just for the record- the rifle will be a 7mm wsm. Weight isn't a factor and niether is recoil, so a heavy rifle or a light one is fine. I am looking for stability in inclimate weather. accuracy, and reliabilty. this rifle will be used for shooting deer over bean and cornfields and for elk hunting out west specifically colorado washington and oregon. I haven't heard anything bad about either of these rifles. the savage is the 16FCSAK. And I as i said the tikka is the laminated stainless T3.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:20 AM

SAVAGE !
Old 03-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off I am big Savage fan. The savage gets an upper hand from the get go, due to the accutrigger. That will save time and money by not requiring any work in the trigger dept. This will be especially important to accuracy if you are bean fielding.
However, I despise muzzlebreaks. First off they are built to tame recoil. That is not even an issue in this case, there is no real need. More importantly, they severely increase the damage done to your hearing every time they are shot without proper ear protection. Unless you wear ear muffs while you are hunting, they do little more than save you from mild recoil, while increasing the permanently damage done to your ears from muzzleblast.
For that factor alone I would not recomend this model of Savage.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:35 PM

For sure I would go with tikka. They shoot great, have a shorter bolt lift, awesome trigger right from the box and the action is smooth as silk. The savage shoots ok, is very ugly, trigger needs work and the action is very rough. I have bought 3 tikka's in the last 2 years. In there price range nothing else comes close.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

trigger needs work
Huh?....
Old 03-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh you mean this trigger....

Right Out of the box the trigger was nearly flawless. It took eight ounces of pressure to fully depress the AccuRelease tab. After a few trials it was hardly noticeable. The trigger itself is a single stage design. With virtually no perceptible creep or overtravel, the trigger broke cleanly at 24 ounces (1 1/2 pounds). A couple of dozen trials produced exactly the same weight every time.......RIFLEMAN MAGAZINE.......
Old 03-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pick them up and see which one YOU like the best. The Savage will be hard to beat at its price. I have a model 16 in 270 wsm and it is proving to be a very accurate rifle and despite what handwerk says, the accutrigger is great. My trigger breaks clean and crisp....just as advertised! I would look at the Savage models without the muzzlebrake if I were you for the same reasons stated earlier. The synthetic stock on the Savage will not even compare to the laminate stock on the Tikka, so that is not really a fair comparison.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Makes no sense to buy a short action cartridge in a long action rifle such as the Tikka. Savage makes a short action rifle. Savage is American made, Tikka isn't. Savage may not be the prettiest gun around but it is probably the best value for your dollar you will ever see in a rifle.

Quick Reply: tikka or savage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.