Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Regret using 20ga for Whitetails? >

Regret using 20ga for Whitetails?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Regret using 20ga for Whitetails?

Old 03-17-2005, 12:01 PM

Default RE: Regret using 20ga for Whitetails?

if yoour worried about the weight of the H&R there is a 2-3 pound weight in the stock. take it out. the recoil is the same and it doesn't affect the accuracy.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:02 PM

the H&R will probably be the most accrate. Those saddle mounts have a bad reputation for not holding accuracy since theyre not connected directly to the barrel, and are bolted through the reciever.

I'm not a big berson at all, and even the 12ga H&R i handled the other day wasnt THAT heavy with the scope mounted, and the 20ga is a pound lighter.

As far as ammo, i have been doing some digging, since i am a shotgun only hunter (and will be getting a H&R in 20ga soon) and it looks like the 3" Barnes expander slugs from federal are the best bet for long range performance, holding almost 1000 ft lbs out to 200yds in a 20ga :O

Ive knocked them over with my 20ga and copper solid slugs out to 120yds, so the 20 will be all the gun you'd ever need.

Mat
Old 03-17-2005, 05:26 PM

I dont know the exact accuracy of my remington 870 youth but I have shot a 10" wide 15" tall steel plate at 100yd using a IC choke and factory smooth bore.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

20 guage will kill a deer plenty dad without the absurd recoil of a 12 guage slugger.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

SS88. The scope mount rails on ours have never been problems. Of course the mounting screws were immediately checked after purchase and lock-tite was applied cause I don't trust ANY scope mounts that I, myself didn't do.

The rails are indeed mounted DIRECTLY on the barrels, as there are no "receivers" on these accutely accurate single shots.

We love the accuracy we receive from our H&R's and to be absolutely truthful, haven't needed second shots.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 03-18-2005, 09:31 PM

Appreciate all the feedback... My current 12ga setup hasn't failed me to date, but the info I keep hearing about the H&R Ultra Slug Gun really interests me. I'm mostly a treestand hunter so the added weight doesn't bother me to much especially when the trade off is an extremely accurate shotgun out to 100yds. While I'm not faced with those shots to often, it would be nice to have the confidence/proper equipment if the opportunity presented itself. Plus, wouldn't mind going to the range with a lighter kicking slug gun.

Thanks again for the comments,
MD Piney
Old 03-19-2005, 04:58 AM

I own 12 & 16 gauge Ithaca's Love them, But own a Winchester 1300 with screw in chokes & plan on getting threw Cabelas a Screw in Slug choke, so i can use it this deer season in NY , You can kill a deer with a rock if you hit it in the right spot, 20 gauge's will kill just the same.

P.S Never met anyone (yet ) that has killed a deer with a rock.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:00 AM

Was just looking at American Rifleman Magazine last night & thought I seen that H&R single shot in there, Never read reviews (not yet), Must hace good reviews, or it wouldnt be in there....
Old 03-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are some great "newer" loads for the 20 out there that makes it an impressive weapon for whitetails out to 100 _150 yards if you get to learn your weapon..
Old 03-19-2005, 08:34 PM

I use a 20 exclusivly. Have for 25 years. I Have in my time taken over 60 deer with a 20. Farthest out was 130 yards. It was an ithaca SKB 20ga With 28Inch modified Ribber and bras beaded barrel. It was the Most accurate and reliable gun i ever owned in the shotgun flavor. If it wernt a matter of not finding parts for the gun, Id still have it. I have been useing a win. 12 for the last 2 seasons and have dropped 7 deer with it, But honest to goodness, the recoil is Not good. I am in the process of getting a 870 Mag express, either full or youth 20 to hunt with. Being dissabled forever from a broken back, and 5 surgeries, I need as little weight and recoil as i can get.

Id love that gun your thinking of buying, But weight is a major no no for me. Good luck with it though i hear its a great shooter, and it will reach out to 130 if needed. And it wont drop as much neither and vont lose as much velosity compaired In theory as a 12 will. AND you can use MAG rounds anyways.

Harry

Quick Reply: Regret using 20ga for Whitetails?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.