Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 LEFTIES AND RH ACTIONS >

LEFTIES AND RH ACTIONS

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

LEFTIES AND RH ACTIONS

Old 03-16-2005, 09:35 AM

Default LEFTIES AND RH ACTIONS

GUYS,
I'M A LEFTY THAT GREW UP SHOOTING RH ACTIONS. I'VE GOTTEN SO USED TO THEM THAT NOW I FIND IT DIFFICULT TO USE A LH ACTION. I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW MANY LEFTIES OUT THERE SHOOT LEFTY WITH A RH ACTION?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: LEFTIES AND RH ACTIONS

Swampman I am the same as you with a twist. I grew up shooting righthanded actions or pumps as a south paw until I bought my first LH bolt a number of years ago. Now I wouldn't buy or consider a RH bolt rifle.

BTW 2 guys I hunt with that are southpaws 1 is like me only LH and other uses RH b/c that is all he has ever known. He admits to being scared to try a LH action.

If it works for you then great! I personally would never try to talk a LH'd shooter into a RH'd equipment based on what I endured and have learned.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:59 AM

I'm young and still shoot only what my father has collected over the years. Autos don't bother me like some lefties complain of, and I only shoot 2 bolts. One is unscoped and I can work the action pretty well with my left hand (use thumb mostly, and its still definately slower) the other is scoped...and I pretty much aproach it as a single-shot. I've been dreaming of a LH mauser for about 6 months. Ever since I was at a gander mountain and got my hands a newer *smoooooth* mauser. It was RH and I quickly found out all mausers are RH...except for CZ which aren't true mausers and Charles daily makes some. Pistols...two are single action and give me no problems, two are double. One gives me fits, the other has such a nice trigger group in it that I rarely notice the inconvience
Old 03-16-2005, 12:22 PM

I am a lefty and have only shot rt handed bolts. When I started the only caliber I could find in a let-handed bolt was a 30/06 and I was way too cool and knowledgeable to settle for something so mundane. I bought a Model 70 in .264 Win Mag thank you very much and learned to cycle the action around the scope. I've shot shotguns which were lefty and didn't feel proper. I shoot right handed guns now because this is what I am use to.

Dr Fatguy
Old 03-16-2005, 12:32 PM
DM

I'm with the others, i'm left handed and grew up shooting a RH bolt gun..

As an adult i "finally" bought a LH bolt gun and a lot of ammo. By the time i shot all the ammo up i realized how much i had been missing before to be "stuck" with a RH action!!!

I sold almost all of the 45 right hand bolt guns i had, and started building LH guns in the cals. i wanted!!!

I'd NEVER go back!!!!

Drilling Man
Old 03-16-2005, 12:57 PM

My problem is that although I am right handed, I recently discovered that I am left eye dominant. I went to the range and shot my RH bolt action rifle left handed and found that I could indeed see the target much better but not being left handed, handling and firing the gun felt awkward. My .300 Weatherby Magnum gave me bruises on my left shoulder that I never got before when shooting right handed.

Since I have no idea how eye dominance can be changed or even compensated for, would it make sense for me to obtain a LH bolt action rifle and try to become, through practice, a left handed shooter?

Californiadoctor
Old 03-16-2005, 01:40 PM

Californiadoctor, don’t switch. A scope should not cause any troubles, only iron sights.

could indeed see the target much better
This has nothing to do with left eye dominance. Your left eye just basically sees better than your right. If you’re left eye dominant you should in essence be looking in a different direction than the gun muzzle is pointed. This isn't good. To fight this, a smudge can be positioned in a spot on the lens of the shooting glasses over the dominant eye. The spot draws that eye's concentration, making the brain rely on the other eye to follow the target. The dominant isn’t stronger, just merely the one that focuses first. To find out the dominant eye, look at a remote object, and then frame it in a "window" shaped by your hands, hold palms out at arm's length. Now shut one eye. If the object is still able to be seen, the open eye is dominant. If it vanishes, you've closed the dominant eye.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:03 PM

SKEETER7MM,
I TRIED A LH ACTION. A NICE BROWNING MEDALLION IN 270. THE RANGE SESSIONS WENT GREAT. BUT THE FIRST TIME I TRIED TO MAKE A FAST FOLLOW UP SHOT I FOUND MYSELF AUTOMATICALLY REACHING OVER THE @#$%@ SCOPE FOR THE BOLT. AUTOS ARE NOT A PRBLEM AS I SHOOT A BAR WHICH EJECTS FORWARD AND TO THE RIGHT. I THINK THIS OLD DOG NEEDS TO STICK WITH HIS RH'S.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

swampman, it is all personal like i said you do what feels right to you. I was one who tried a LH action and when going back to rh one it just felt ackward, so from that point I started looking for LH bolts.

Cal, I would look into it a bit more before buying LH stuff, try using a 22 and see how your groups fair from L to R. If you truly find a benifit to shooting off the Left, with time/practice will come comfort and confidence to make a switch. I found in my case that after years of being told boy your holding it wrong and trying to fight nature that it was well worth it to make a switch...even if it meant less options and more money spent.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:57 PM

I'm a lefty that shoots RH action rimfires but use the LH action for centerfires. Only reason being is the centerfires have such a long bolt throw that it hits my thumb on most rifles.

Quick Reply: LEFTIES AND RH ACTIONS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.