Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 40cal vs. 9mm >

40cal vs. 9mm

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

40cal vs. 9mm

Old 03-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default 40cal vs. 9mm

What are some of the differences good or bad between these two guns. (which one is bigger, has more knockdown, less recoil, more accurate, etc....)
Old 03-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 40cal vs. 9mm

40 has a little more kick, a little more power a little more expesive (gun and ammo). I would just pick the gun that fits best in your hand.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:10 PM

I agree with semi, with the exception on which one fits your hand. The .40S&W and 9mm in many makes have the same grip and frame. Glock 19 vs Glock 23 is one example.

Some people do not like the snappy recoil of the .40S&W. I would suggest going to a range and renting a couple of 9mm and .40S&W pistols and see which ones you enjoy shooting.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 40 is a little more gun for sure. If you like heavier bullets it the way to go. As far as defense, either will do a good job. I have a little more faith in heavier bullets but that battle has raged for many decades. Police use a good mix of the two so they both have their supporters. I have had several of both but prefer the 45 auto.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:41 PM
bigcountry

From what I have seen and heard from Baltimore and Anne Arrundel Detectives here in MD, who has actually killed people with both, I won't keep a 9mm as a self defense round.

Old 03-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never been a big fan of the 9mm.I personally think the 40 S&W is a much superior round for self defense.The nines are cheaper to shoot.Pricewise in the guns depending which you get the prices are close.I'm with JamesB. The 45ACP is a great defense round.I have a cop friend who had to shoot a dog with his nine. After that incident he now carrys a 45.Some PD's still carry nines. Allot have switched to the 40's for obivious reasons.My CCW gun is a Glock M-27 in 40.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-15-2005, 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Bucky10
What are some of the differences good or bad between these two guns. (which one is bigger, has more knockdown, less recoil, more accurate, etc....)
There won't be much difference between the two as far as the guns are concerned (size, etc.). As noted, whatever you pick, get one that "fits"/feels comfortable to handle. Going to a local range, and trying out a few different makes/models is a really good idea. I like the Sigs - mine is a model 239, and it's available in both 9mm or 40S&W.

Generally, the 9mm will have less recoil. The 40S&W will likely be the better stopper as
it has a little more power, and uses heavier bullets. However, with good modern ammo
such as Federal Hydra-Shok or Remington Golden Saber, etc., either can be relied upon to do the job of stopping if you do your job - shooting accurately (center/upper torso hits).
Accuracy? - Well, that sort of depends on the shooter. Both are plenty accurate enough to be good defensive rounds. Heck, most encounters will be up close/personal anyway (within 10 to 20ft.).
As some have noted, the 45ACP is a good defensive round also, but it's a bit overated too. I know of a dog that took two rounds (185gr HP), and finally had to be put down with a 30/30. But, no matter the cartridge, we can all come up with exceptions for any
given cartridge. You get a hyped up perp, and it might seem as if it would take a bazooka to put him down. Sometimes only a shot to the central nervous system or brain will do. I like the idea, and practice for this also, of two to the torso, and one to the head. That ought to do!
In any case, whichever you pick, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Accuracy first - speed will come in time with more practice.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:48 PM
bigcountry

shooting accurately (center/upper torso hits).
Which is an extreme rarity in an emergency situation to the police I know who has actually done the deed.

Old 03-15-2005, 04:51 PM

I have a 9 and a 40,I prefer to shoot the 9 more because of the recoil and the cost. I carry the 40 with me the most.

both are good weapons at the close quaters,(in the house),I prefer the 40 then.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:10 PM

has more knockdown,
No such thing in handgun calibers.

.40 S&W throws a larger diameter, heavier bullet. In identical guns, the 9x19 will recoil less, and accuracy is much more dependant on the gun and shooter than the cartridge.

With the proper load, and modern, high proformance bullets, I see little to chose from between the 9x19, .40 S&W, and even the .45 ACP. Much of the anecdotal "evidence" of the 9x19's failure as a law enforcment failure was due to the 147 grain JHP load that many agencies went to. Funny, many of them changed to the "wonder nines" because the .38 Special with 158 grain RN bullets at 750 to 800 FPS wasn't a terribly effective stopper. I can't imagine why the powers that be thought a 147 grain bullet at 850 FPS would do much better!

Proper load, to me, in 9x19, means at least the equivalent of Cor-Bon's 115 or 124 gr +P JHP. If I were limited to ball, I would always carry a .45 ACP, but bullet design and proformance has changed drasticly in the last twenty years.

Quick Reply: 40cal vs. 9mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.