Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

BAR IN .280

Old 03-09-2005, 08:17 PM

Default BAR IN .280

GUYS,
DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A LEAD ON A USED BAR IN 280? I CAN'T FIND ONE ANYWHERE AND WOULD REALLY LIKE TO PURCHASE ONE. ANY HELP APPRECIATED.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: BAR IN .280

If indeed they ever made one it would be a toughie to find. I haven't run across any and I look at the classified's all the time. I have had the 7 Rem mag , my brother owns one as well and absolutely loves it as does my best friend. YOu may want to look at a Bar in that Caliber. Factory ammo in a 280 is pretty disappointing and face it your looking at a handloading proposition. Also bear in mind you can't run HE ammo thru a Bar. Weightwise between the 2 there would be minimal difference and the recoil won't imagine to a hill of beans. You may want to call Browning to make sure they even made one. Good Luck in your search.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Go to the Browning website and look at there distributor list. You can begin by contacting them in your area. The 280 isn't listed as an available caliber. I have a friend that has one of the lightweight models with a 20" barrel in 280. Just because a particular cartridge isn't cataloged doesn't mean it isn't available. Go to some gun shows and you will find new non-catalog rifles all of the time. This is because most distributors that are willing to order enough rifles can have about anything that they want.

I personally own a Remington 700 Classic Stainless in 257 Roberts that was never a catalog item. My buddy also has a Remington 700 ADL laminate in 264 Win Mag that isn't a catalog item.

As for factory ammo there is more available today than at about any other time. Federal has introduced several new loads for 05 for the 280. Remington loads the accubond and core-lokt. Winchester has the BST and Fail Safe. Hornady only show the light mag which shouldn't be shot out of an auto. Overall the 280 is a fine cartridge and plenty capable for whitetail, mulie, pronghorn, elk, & black bear. As long as you choose the correct bullet for your application.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

Contact Williams Gun Sight Co. The number is 800-530-9028 they list a used BAR in 280 for sale at $600.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:28 PM

THANKS SUPERPIG. I KNOW THEY MADE THEM BACK IN THE EARLY 90'S THANKS FOR THE TIP. I'LL CALL THEM RIGHT NOW