Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Redfield Scopes >

Redfield Scopes

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Redfield Scopes

Old 03-09-2005, 12:12 PM
bigcountry

Default Redfield Scopes

What happened to them? They used to be high quality. You don't even see them around anymore. I have a chance to buy a new in the box 6-20X50 matte illuminator for 100 dollars. Do you think its worth it? Guy said he paid 270 dollars for it. Its from another estate sale.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Redfield Scopes

I think that Illuminator should be ok for 100 bucks. They bring that or more on EBAY. I am going to be recieving a 3-9x40 Redfield and a Leupie to put on Ebay this week for a good friend.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:26 PM
bigcountry

Why are redfield considered low end optics now? Any ideas? Or same as weaver?

Old 03-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Probably because Meade optics makes them and they are identical to Weaver,Simmons . If they are made as well as the former I would have no problem buying one. Look out on Ebay youwon't believe what an Illuminator is bringing.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have several of the old Redfields. They were a great scope,I don't know anything about the new Redfields.I picked up one of the newer ones used. 3x9 for 50.00. I haven't mounted it yet.I was wondering who was making the new Redfields.Meade Optics.I never heard of them.I have one Simmons 44mag scope and a Weaver V24.So far no problems. Both are practically brand new.Time will tell how good they hold up.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

buy it!!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

dad swears by the old ones....he liked my leupold varix II 3x9x40....so he bought a 2x7 leupold....and didnt like it as much as his little old redfield....i think its also a 2x7.....my grandfather left behind a winchest 88 in 308 with a 6x redfield with the old rectangle eyepiece....dont know the real term for that...but it has kinda square/rectangle lenses.....dont know how old the scope is.....but it holds its zero and in the past 15yrs my dad, my uncle, and myself taken deer with it.....my grandma says my grandfather MAYBE took one deer with that rifle....says he always hunted with it..just never shot any deer except once she thinks....but me and my uncle both took our first deer with it....and my dad used it a few times....its under my bed in a hard case now with the rest of my rifles....shhhhh grandma forgot about it lol.....she knows i have it...and a shotgun of hers...i take care of the rest of the guns at her house also....but these 2 i like and use....and she allows...i hope to have them given to me offically one day....but that redfield still shoots....i shot it about once a year...to take deer hunting on my trip as a backup incase my gun craps out on me somehow....never know...but dont want to be 200miles from home and not have a gun to hunt with so i take atleast 2....dont know anything about the new redfields....but i see them cheap once in a while......
Old 03-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

I have 2 Redfields, a 1.75 X 5 Widefield on my 35 Whelen and a 3X9/40 Golden Five Star on a 243. The Widefield I've had on various rifles, it's about 20 yrs. old. The 3X9 is about 10 years old.Never had any problems with either, they hold their zero and the windage and elev. adjustments are true. I'd snap up that Illuminator in a heart beat.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

I hear that Meade has big plans to move Redfield back into the premium scope market. I believe the shake up is starting w/ Simmons and the new Master Series scopes and they will move on to Weaver and Redfield.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a Redfield 3X9 that I bought in the seventies. I used it up until about five years ago. It was a great scope. If they made that kind of quality now, I would look at it.

Quick Reply: Redfield Scopes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.