Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .270 or 7mm? >

.270 or 7mm?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.270 or 7mm?

Old 03-10-2005, 09:41 PM

Default RE: .270 or 7mm?

The .270 was Jack O'Conner's pet rifle. It will kill a animal as dead as the next but if I had to choose, I'd go with a 7mm-08. Wickedly accurate, low recoil, plenty of power, all sorts of bullets for it.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would chose a 7mm Rem. Mag over the 270 IF you can handle the recoil. It has a bit more reach and reasonably more energy downrange. The .270 Win is a great round but the 7mm RM does everything a bit better. Plus it'll leave you the option of going for Elk if you want someday. I"ve seen too many elk shot with 270's and, although most of them were tasty, I've seen them go further than when shot with bigger calibers.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Slamfire

Here's your assignment, write a 500 word essay on the DIFFERENCES. You are gonna have a hard time.

havent we wore out the comparison's yet??? Slamfire, this should be a requirement for all people to post on a comparison thread......and my second rule would be ........YOU MUST HAVE EITHER OWNED OR CURRENTLY OWN BOTH GUNS TO MAKE A COMPARISON!!!!! I have seen so many times someone will say " I think the 7mm is better than the .270" well my questions is "have you ever owned a .270?" um.....no!!!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have both a 7mm RM and a 270 Win. I reload for both. I've seen elk taken with both. And deer. And of the two, I lean toward the 7mm RM. Sure, the 270 will get the job done, but of the two, I believe the 7mm is superiour. Bigger, heavier, faster bullets. But there is a price. Recoil is much sharper and they are more expensive to shoot. Plus the 7mm guns are generally heavier.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:29 PM

I have a 7 remmag and am getting a 7wsm when i get home. someone made a point baout all the different 7 mm's out there, and it was a very good one. if you handload the vriety of bullets out there is far superior in 7mm in wieght and type. 284 is far more popular than 277. anyway if not 270 and 7rem mag both have a huge variety of factory loads available everywhere. I handload so i go with 7mm's. I like short actions so I'm getting a 7wsm- though it'll probably never replace my 7 rem mag. Anyway look at what you really hunt and where and get the gun that'll work best for you r REAL hunting. If you might one day hunt elk, borrow the 300 win mag one of your buddies has for that 10 days or whatever. Anyway 270 isn't too small for elk or moose- but it's not really big enough either. 5.56 kills most people that get shot with it- but it's not really big enough for people you know. good luck.