Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.460 S&W

Old 03-06-2005, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default .460 S&W

Has antone read about this new calibur from S&W it sounds like a frieght train with a barrel.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .460 S&W

Seems to fill a non-existant void to me. To each their own though. guessing that by going with longer OAL cartridges it would require competitors to have a completely new frame to accomodate them. Only a couple others getting in on these S&W cartridges.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:05 AM

I looked it over in a buddys magazine and all I can say about the knock down power it has is WOW
Old 03-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read the article in Guns And Ammo . That is going to one more bad dude.Max.Point blank range for deer hunting=200 yds. Some rifles wont do that.I think it all boils down to the " Mine's bigger than yours thing".Hey what ever blows your skirt up.I think I would rather have one of these than the .500.Would seem more practical to me,But with the new hand cannons practical does not even fit into the equation..LOL
Old 03-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like it alot better than the .500S&W. I can see it as being much more practical and versatile for mo other reason than it can not only launch a 200 grain .452cal bullet at 2300fps, but also that it can launch much heavier bullets at superior velocities to the .454 Casull, but allow one the flexibility to use .454 Casull if they desire or even step down to the .45 Colt for inexpensive and non-masochistic target shooting. The Model 500 is a thumper, but unless you handload the only alternatives one has for ammo is the full-throttle hard kicking stuff. Whereas with the Model 460 XVR a non-handloader can choose a very wide range of loads to suit his needs (and budget) from the stuff available right off the shelf.

As for one who does handload, the 460 XVR gives him incredible flexability.

As for the gun itself...well, anyone who's had the opportunity (I wouldn't necessarily use the term "pleasure", as the Model 500 isn't always a pleasure to shoot when stoked to its maximum potential) to shoot the X-frame Model 500 knows that it is a superior quality hunting revolver. It's a bit spendy, but I believe that it is worth it for those who really want a top shelf revolver without spending $2000 for a Freedom Arms single action. If I had the cash, I'd buy one...but I'd probably wait and find one used as save even more money.

Mike
Old 03-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Dan, Handled one at the gun show last Saturday{Mar. 5}.
Some Gun! It's also Some heavy!....WOW!
Old 03-07-2005, 06:58 PM

I like the looks of it, especially for my Encore. JD Jones (SSK) is already making barrels for it for the encore. .45/.454/.460 in one gun, sounds nice.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

With the weight and size of the new S&W handguns, I can't see much advanage over carrying a rifle instead which is far more versitile and has much better range and shootability.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't see much advanage over carrying a rifle instead which is far more versitile and has much better range and shootability.
There isn't any advantage whatsoever of any handgun over a shoulder-fired CF rifle. The same argument could be applied to those who choose to hunt with muzzleloaders or bows even when their state allows CF rifles.

I think that it's purely about the challenge. Sure, S&W talks big about it being a 200 yard handgun, which it no doubt can be, but have you ever tried to shoot a pistol out to 200 yards? If you have you know just how tough it is compared to the same shot with a CF rifle. With a scoped rifle I can hit clay pidgeons at 200 yards offhand w/ a sling more often than not, but with my scoped Ruger SRH I have to use some means of support to steady my shot, and then I can only reliably hit an 8" circle at about 150. 200 yards, even from the bench is literally hit-or-miss. The only advantage that the new 460 S&W has over othe revolver cartridges is that its performance puts success or failure squarely in the hands of the shooter and his pistol marksmanship skills and his ability to get close enough to make the shot, and not on a 10-15 yard ranging error.

Mike
Old 03-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cant figure out why to have it . Other then to have it. Ishoot a ruger srh .44 mag with a 4x leuplold eer on it and there would not be a shot I would take at a deer at 200 yards with it scoped or unscoped. So I wouldnt think I would do it with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.