Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Yugo SKS M59/66 Owners >

Yugo SKS M59/66 Owners

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Yugo SKS M59/66 Owners

Old 03-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Yugo SKS M59/66 Owners

I haven't fired or handled the SKS 59/66 model with the attached grenade launcher, but I'm thinking of picking one up for cheap plinking at the range. Is the grenade launcher removable, and if so, how easily?
Old 03-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Yugo SKS M59/66 Owners

Yes its removable, but it looks like a PITA.

Its screwed on, and also pinned sort of through the edge of the launcher.

If you remove it, for legal reasons, you need to replace it with a muzzle brake or flashhider that is screwed on and welded into place.

The 59/66 falls under some really screwy nonsense law in which its only to imported as a C&R and if you try to add evil features like a folding stock, a hi-cap detachable magazine, or a threaded muzzle, you have to convert it into an 'American made' rifle by swapping in enough parts that are stamped 'Made in USA' so that less than 10 of the rifles parts foreign made. Make sense? Didn't think so. Don't worry, it doesn't seem like even the BATFE understands the law either.

I'd just buy one and leave it as is, they shoot really nice and are a blast to shoot. I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago and had no problems whatsoever popping off soda cans at 50 yards shooting from my feet. I didn't bother shooting it off a bench as the there is so much junk hanging off the barrel, and I would have to extend the bayonet in order to not put pressure on the barrel when shooting it from a rest.

I paid $150 +tax for mine, it came with a book that had stampings and signatures showing that it was made in 1983, was testfired, and was inspected every 5 years or so. Its a neat gun, more fun than $150 can normally buy you.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another bonus: they have flip up phosphorescent night sights, and the latest (I think Z prefix serialed) rifles have flip up tritium sights, good for fending off them pesky invading capitalists at night.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes its removable, but it looks like a PITA.

Its screwed on, and also pinned sort of through the edge of the launcher.
I know removing the grenade sight certainly is. Figured the launcher would be worse.

If you remove it, for legal reasons, you need to replace it with a muzzle brake or flashhider that is screwed on and welded into place.
Yep, found screw-on flash hiders cheap--that's the only reason I'm bothering with the launcher.

The 59/66 falls under some really screwy nonsense law in which its only to imported as a C&R and if you try to add evil features like a folding stock, a hi-cap detachable magazine, or a threaded muzzle, you have to convert it into an 'American made' rifle by swapping in enough parts that are stamped 'Made in USA' so that less than 10 of the rifles parts foreign made. Make sense? Didn't think so. Don't worry, it doesn't seem like even the BATFE understands the law either.
Ugh, typical. The only mods I'm interested in beside the flash-hider would be a folding stock, a bipod, and optics. Maybe it's more trouble than its worth. A Dragunov-style stock does the job, too.

I'd just buy one and leave it as is, they shoot really nice and are a blast to shoot. I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago and had no problems whatsoever popping off soda cans at 50 yards shooting from my feet. I didn't bother shooting it off a bench as the there is so much junk hanging off the barrel, and I would have to extend the bayonet in order to not put pressure on the barrel when shooting it from a rest.
Can't beat that for the money.

I paid $150 +tax for mine, it came with a book that had stampings and signatures showing that it was made in 1983, was testfired, and was inspected every 5 years or so. Its a neat gun, more fun than $150 can normally buy you.
Yep, the one I'm looking at is the same price and comes with the arsenal paperwork.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Another bonus: they have flip up phosphorescent night sights, and the latest (I think Z prefix serialed) rifles have flip up tritium sights, good for fending off them pesky invading capitalists at night.
Lol, I actually have some hesitations about buying commie gear. Then again Yugoslavia no longer has Tito and his ilk, so what the heck!

Thanks for your help, Bri.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 59/66 was also designed with the considerations of joining NATO, the grenade launchers will also shoot NATO spec projectiles. The grenade sight is marked in both yds and meters. First thing I would do is break it down and clean all the cosmoline from everywhere you can get to.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:10 PM

I have owned 3 Yugo M59/66's, i bought for $175,$179,and $145. All three were unfired and covered in cosmoline. I like them, they are a cheap plinker and can take a beating.

By the way that grenade launcher is sweated on and is a major PITA to get off..... looks better on it
Old 03-13-2005, 04:24 PM

Yugo? Boy theres a name that brings up grand images of quality huh?
RA
Old 03-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yugo? Boy theres a name that brings up grand images of quality huh
Beats the hell out of a Ruger Mini-30, better quality at only 1/4 the price.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:31 PM

lol Bri, I know they are decent lil rifles, just had to give you guys a hard time.

(To keep the banter going) whats more important, employing Americans at Ruger or former soviet citizens???
RA

Quick Reply: Yugo SKS M59/66 Owners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.