Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New Handgun Scope? >

New Handgun Scope?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Handgun Scope?

Old 03-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default New Handgun Scope?

I've got a Ruger SRH .44 mag. It came with a 2X20 Simmons scope. I have been looking into upgrading my scope. From what I have seen, the Weaver 4X28 is about the best bang for the buck! Simmons are much cheaper but I am not sure of the quality.
Anyone have any experience with the Weaver? Any other sugestions?
Old 03-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Handgun Scope?

I would go with a Burris 1.5x-4x Posi-Lock Handgun Scope. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just topped my SBH with a weaver 2x. I've only fired about 25 mild loads and 25 hunting loads thru it, and it's held zero so far. Its a very clear scope that don't break the bank. Once the weather clears I want to shoot some more.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

rybo, I've looked at the 2X Weaver. It is the same scope as the 4X, just about 25$ cheaper!
I am going to go with 4X, my eyes are getting older, and I need the extra power! I'll be getting the scope by about the first part of summer, let me know if you have any problems before that.

I have considered a variable scope, but I feel that it is a little "over scoped" for my revolvers comfortable shooting ranges!
Old 03-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jagmag, I was going to get a 4x scope for my SBH Hunter.. I would suggest if you know someone with a 4x try it first.I was advised by several people to get the 2x. To hard to hold steady, and they said it's much harder to find your target.I never tried one so I'm going from what I was told.I ended up with a Loopy M8 2x20mm.It was 220.00 (matte silver)everywhere I checked.I can relate to tired eyes. I don't think a 4x will help your eyes anymore then the 2x. On another site I had mentioned I ordered a Loopy 4x.I got a bunch of replies advising me to get a 2x instead. I think all but one reply was get the 2x.I called and changed my order to the 2x before it was shipped.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

RR, I've been told the same thing about the 2X scopes vs. 4X. I wish I could find a 4X to try out before I buy another scope! It seems that the 4X would give me a much clearer picture. Perhaps the 1X4 is the way to go, 2X for short shots, and 4X for the longer shots! I just thought that the variables were a bit much for revolver range, and my own personal limits! Choices, choices!
Old 03-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ruger-redhawk's theory is why I went with the 2x. Over whelming sentiment that the 4x is too much. I guess it all boils down to expected ranges. I had a hard time trying to find a 4x to look thru and gauge for myself so I just went with the popular choice.

jagmag, I'll keep ya posted, as soon as the weather breaks I plan on getting out there. been thinking about a hog hunt with it so I don't have to wait to next deer season to break it in.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think you would be best served to try the 4X before you buy one if possible, i have a fixed 4X one on my encore pistol, and from a rest at the range it is not to bad, but target acusition(sp) is really something else, everything moves around, your target and the background, this is my first experince with a ler scope and i wish i had gone with the 2X, btw i can relate to the tired old eyes, but everyone suggested i go with the 2X but i knew more than they did, i do like the idea of the varible, with my encore(7mm-08) the higher magnifacation may come in handy, atleast one of these days,

best of luck
Old 03-04-2005, 04:00 PM

i put a simmons pro hunter on a .44 mag and one on a ruger.22 super-six. they work great. it has a 2-6 power. that talk about the gun moving more with a higher power scope is not true. the gun moves just as much on two power as it does on 6 power. you just do not see it move as much. i hunt squirrels with the super-six with a set of shooting sticks and 2 power is not enough to shoot a squirrel out of the top of a big old oak tree. that's when the six power really shines.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 7 1/2" Ruger Super Redhawlk in 454 .
I have 2 sets of rings ,1 set has a Bushenell 2x6x32 scope ( several thousand full power rnds and several thou target loads ) that works perfictly.
Second set of rings has a Millit 30mm red dot ,I have run more ammo with this than the scope. I use this for deer hunting . 4 shots 5 deer ( don't ask)
The only problems I had with either is the scope slid in the rings till I locktighted the rings to the scope ( with 360 gr hard cast bullets at 1400 fps)

Quick Reply: New Handgun Scope?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.