Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Leupold Scopes? >

Leupold Scopes?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Leupold Scopes?

Old 03-02-2005, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leupold Scopes?

I had a Nikon Buckmaster and was happy with it. It is good for a low price scope. Unfortunately when I sold my 7MM Mag the guy wanted the scope too. Haven't replaced it yet (no spare rifles to put a new scope on). I looked at the Zeiss Conquest at BPS a year ago and was impressed with the brightness of that scope. $400 for a scope is a little steep for me right now (got to buy a new rifle first).
Old 03-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

People are missing the point.

I think most of us would agree that the Leupold VX-II and VX-III are very good scopes. Some might think they are overpriced, but good scopes none the less.

The VX-I and rifleman are simply NOT good scopes... NOT OPINION, just facts. Not being fully multicoated they cannot compete with light transmission even with scopes costing half their price (Simmons AETEC). Not being "click" adjustments means that zeroing in is going to be more difficult than if it had it, this is a property of "cheap" scopes. Three piece designs are not as rugged as one-piece designs, no debate please. They do have good eye releif and good customer care (or so I have heard).

I own a VX-II and it is a fine scope, and I must admit it is very attractive (clean lines, not overly cluttered). Having said that I would not pay $300 for it, I would go with a Nikon Monarch.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The VX-I and rifleman are simply NOT good scopes... NOT OPINION, just facts.

I disagree that the VXI(can't speak for the Rifleman) is a bad scope. If you say there are better choices that are cheaper, then I will agree 100%. I have a VXI on a T/C Omega that has served wonderfully....was easy to sight in(even though it has friction adj.) and considering I paid 80 bucks for it off ebay....I got a heck of a deal. My VXI is not as bright or as clear as the Elite 3200 I recently purchased but it works well for hunting. In addition to this I have some VariX-II's that have seen several years of use and have held up perfectly, even though they have 3 piece tubes and friction adjustments. I bought the Elite 3200 to try something different as I have read so many praises about them. So far I'm happy...but only time will tell if the Bushnell will hold up as well as the Leupolds have.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:33 PM
bigcountry

I have a feeling most of the opinions are hear say and most don't even have a rifleman.

Old 03-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I have a feeling most of the opinions are hear say and most don't even have a rifleman.
I don't have one because I took the time to compare features and actually looked at them side by side w/ many other models.The Rifleman scopes just don't hold their own to scopes in the same price range. Leupold is riding their name on this one ! You can get far more scope for $200 than what the Rifleman offers.

Even Bushnell's cheapest line, the Sportsman, is Multi-coated.

Bushnell Sportsman
FEATURES :
-Multi-coated optics
-One-piece tube
-100% waterproof/fogproof/shockproof construction
-Dry-nitrogen filled
-1/4 M.O.A. fingertip windage and elevation adjustments
-Fast-focus eyepiece
Old 03-03-2005, 06:59 AM

I have had the pleasure of talking in depth to a couple of competitive shooters. One shot at Camp Perry for 20 years and another shoots competitive benchrest.

What was the one thing they both told me…”Get a Leupold!!!” While these are only two opinions, I respect them due to who the people are.

This is kind of like the Ford-Chevy debate…is there really a right answer? I am a Leupold man but does that make Bushnell, Nikon, Zeiss, Swarovski any less inferior…not in the least bit. All are good scopes and all have their pros and cons.

Regards,
Steve
Old 03-03-2005, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Steve you are 100% correct. Leupold maked a fine scope.But those guys shooting at the Camp Perry benchrest matches are not using a Rifleman or even a VX-I.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:33 AM

jdreddish,

You're absolutely 110% correct. Like most other optic manufacturers...Leupold too offers a "low-end" product line.

Regards,
Steve
Old 03-03-2005, 07:40 AM
bigcountry

Steve you are 100% correct. Leupold maked a fine scope.But those guys shooting at the Camp Perry benchrest matches are not using a Rifleman or even a VX-I.
Most on this page ain't at camp perry. Most are hunters.

Multicoat and all are marketing buzz words to get you to buy things. They are coatings like we do at our company on thin film filters and all. No, we don't have fancy buzz words, we are given specs and make them. Magnesium Flouride lens coating is what they have. Not a far cry from the famous multicoat. It matches teh index of refraction with the air. And that changes with pressure, altitude, and humidity. So when company claimes 98% transmission. Thats not all cases.

Nobody is saying there are not better out there for under 200. But people coming on here that has never tried them, saying "thier crap". They are speaking out thier woohoos. If you don't know, then you don't know. I don't fancy thier stylings that much for sure, but I put one on a 204, we shot it, it hit. I had to make a 5MOA windage, and 3MOA elevation adjustment after the first shot. I did it, it hit dead center.

Hey somebody has all my respect if he comes on here honestly and says, I mounted it, and the recticle fell, or it just won't hold zero. But everyone that does internet shopping and comparisons, you don't know.

I am used to friction adjustments on myold Vari X II's. Can't say they ever moved. I used these scope on guns that won't need adjusting, or guns I won't be shooting far and need clicks. I bought Vari X III's for these guns with target turrets.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a hunter and not a competitor, I personally couldn't care less what the benchresters are using. For one thing, as far as I know they're not shooting at the crack of dawn or the very last light of day. They're needs are not the same as a hunter's.

Quick Reply: Leupold Scopes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.