Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 AR-15 question >

AR-15 question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR-15 question

Old 02-20-2005, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default AR-15 question

I currently own a Bushmaster with a 22" heavy barrel post ban. I really do not like how heavy this gun is, it is a workout to shoot this gun free hand for many shots. So I was looking at the new M-4's the other day and was thinking about changing out my barrel to one of the 16" non-heavy ones. But my local gunshop told me that If I put a new barrel on it with the suppressor, and bayonet lug on it, that that would be breaking the law? I dont understand with this ban expiring, are there still things that you cannot do to guns made during then ban? Would it be a felony to convert my "during the ban" upper to an M4 16" gun now that there is no ban?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: AR-15 question

Wow... That is an interesting question... I would say no... but ask it on AR15.com and see what you get.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:11 AM

some states have there own bans,you need to check them
Old 02-20-2005, 12:42 PM

I don't think it's illegal. I bought a Bushmaster BCWA3S20 which is a 20" barrel, bayonet lug, birdcage suppressor and it's perfectly legal. I see you are in Taneytown. Try the Gun Celler in Union Bridge. They seem pretty good.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah, purchasing a gun with all the goodies on it isnt illegal anymore, but Im trying to find out if altering a gun that was made during the ban is illegal. If I cant find out the answer by tommorrow, Im gonna just take mine and trade it plus some $ for a brand new M4 with all the ban stuff on it, suppressor, lug, collapsable stock etc.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:58 PM

If you do buy a new gun, just check to see if there is a back order. There are alot of people on AR-15.com that have been waiting since October for their guns. Hopefully, you won't have to go throught that. If there is a backlog on the gun you want, I would suggest having the FFL order direct from the Manufactuer so you can call them directly to find out the wait time/status etc. I just had a really bad experiance with an FFL and distributer. I waited 18 weeks and still no AR-15, Luckly I found the exact one I wanted brand new at the gun show in Timonium last weekend. Which gun store do you deal with? Happy shopping.

Mark
Old 02-20-2005, 05:50 PM

It would not be illegal IF your state does not have an assault weapons ban, state wide.

I know that MD was trying to have an AWB at the state level but to my knowledge there is no state level AWB.

Your best best is to talk to someone in the AG's office or local police department, although often times they don't know what they are talkign about either.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jedi Knight

I waited 18 weeks and still no AR-15, Luckly I found the exact one I wanted brand new at the gun show in Timonium last weekend. Which gun store do you deal with? Happy shopping.

Mark
did you get yours from continental??
Old 02-21-2005, 03:49 AM

did you get yours from continental??
No. I ordered mine from Valley Gun. I will never deal with them again after what I went through. Continental is great. I bought a Glock 17 and a Walther PPK from them with no issues. There indoor range is good also. I love the free hour of range time with a new gun pruchase. Let us know what you end up buying. Happy shopping.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

After the ban sun-setted, the rules pretty much go like this....if you can buy the gun that way, you can build the old gun that way.

A "post ban" isn't a post ban any more, it's just a gun that came out without any "upgrades". Unless your state specifically prohibits something you want to put on your gun, in which case it would prohibit you from buying a NEW gun with that characteristic, it is legal.

Like I said, if you can buy a new one that way, you can build an old one that way.

Quick Reply: AR-15 question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.