Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Reasons for a new rifle? >

Reasons for a new rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Reasons for a new rifle?

Old 02-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Reasons for a new rifle?

A buddy of mine kept two safes in his house...and then bought mostly guns that all looked alike...for example, he had two sets of Ruger Vaqueros, one a .45 and one in .32H&R (single six fixed sight), they were never in the same place at once, he kept his wife buffaloed that he only had one set.

He bought a Ruger 22/77 .22mag that looked just like his M77 .30-06, kept them in separate safes, his wife never knew the better. Just don't let them see them all in one place at once.

Me personally, I'd tell her this....I need a rimfire rifle for the economical plinking because recoil-less fire helps hone senses and shooting position and technique. I need my centerfire plinking guns because the recoil of the CF rounds then translates what I've worked on with the rimfire rifle into a more "life" cartridge.

It's kinda like football...you do drills against a sled that doesn't move to work on your technique. Then you move up to contact practice where you learn to use your technique in a more realistic arena. So, when the game comes, you've got solid technique, and you know how to use it in a real hitting environment.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Man Oh Man. It's Visa Versa for me.....but I'm not married, lol. Everytime I come across a pawn shop, or at a gun show, I want to buy another gun! But my boyfriend tells me that I dont need anymore and stop waisting money when I already got a 30.06, .44 mag, .22 rifle, and a 20 gauge shotgun. BUT I GOT TO HAVE MORE! Too bad I wasnt with a guy like you guys, then I could have all the guns I want!
Old 02-23-2005, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife knows all of my guns. That's the problem with only having nine. If I tried to get a new one, she would ask me which one I intend to sell to buy the new one. [:@]
Old 02-23-2005, 07:20 AM

It seems I am a lucky man, my wife dosen't really care if I get a new gun, as long as it dosen't take food off the table. Plus she sees the whole investment side of it (not that I would ever liquidate them), a gun taken care of very rarely loses value.

One possible tip for the guys with wives/girlfriends that are against spending hard earned money on that 204 Ruger Ackley Improved that dosen't really have a purpose, but sure would be cool to shoot......

Try the "it's a helluva deal" logic. Women come in many shapes, sizes, and personalities, but deep down, they are all girls, and girls love deals, sales, clearance items, etc.....

I came across a store that an old timer had cashed in his collection at, (I guess his eyes went bad and he couldn't see them any more, therefore sold them). The store had like 30 rifles, none of which had been shot, but couldn't sell them as new, so they had a used price, a nice used price. I kept talking about what a deal it was, and I'd never seen that gun for that cheap, and I wonder if it is priced wrong, etc, etc.. A week later, I had a new .338.

Another example: I was checking the gun counter at a local store, and spotted a new 7mmRUM, which I had been thinking about, apparently a customer at another towns store special ordered it, with a special order barrell, engraving, etc. and never picked it up. That store was in the "shotgun zone" in MI, and they had no luck selling it, they shipped it to my towns store, and had dropped the price like a rock due to an upcoming inventory check or something. I described the situation to my wife, showed her the comparable prices if I bought it normal.....The next day I had a shiny new 7mmRUM.

Just my $.02

And if she still says no to the new gun, then maybe it wasn't meant to be.

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 02-23-2005, 10:06 AM

I'm lucky I guess. We have a don't ask don't tell policy in our house. I don't permission, and she doesn't tell me no. It helps too that I don't keep them in the house. Until I get a safe, I am not allowed to bring them into the house. My boss has the same problem in his house, so we have a nice big storage room with a deadbolt in the office that we hide all our goodies in. We both just bought new rifles that the wives have no clue about and plan to keep it that way! I'd say get a nice big safe and then sneak the new ones in when she's not home and hide the boxes!
Old 02-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: whitetaildeer87

But my boyfriend tells me that I dont need anymore and stop waisting money. BUT I GOT TO HAVE MORE! Too bad I wasnt with a guy like you guys, then I could have all the guns I want!
Whitetaildeer87 you still can. Get yourself a new Boyfriend. It's that simple.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-23-2005, 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Moose_Maximus

That's what I tell my wife.

Her response: "And just exactly how familiar *are* you with the cost of gambling and strippers?"
Not very, since I got out of the Navy, dear.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:46 PM

Melissa, I recomend you read The Yearling, or at least watch the movie before raisin' any more whitetail deer. And lose that boyfriend, he's a controller.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Why tell her?

You got it right, timbercruiser! Say What?

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Slamfire

Melissa, I recomend you read The Yearling, or at least watch the movie before raisin' any more whitetail deer. And lose that boyfriend, he's a controller.

A person who doses'nt read is as ignorant as the one who can't.......RIGHT ON, Slamfire!!!

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!

Quick Reply: Reasons for a new rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.