Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What's your "go to gun"? >

What's your "go to gun"?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What's your "go to gun"?

Old 02-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's your "go to gun"?

Husqvarna 30-06 165 Hornady Interbonds.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:07 PM

Would have to be my Browning .308 with handloaded 165 Hornadys
Old 02-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rustyaxecamp

If you got a call tomorrow from a outfitter, saying you've won a full blown all expense paid hunt, but you need to leave tomorrow, what gun (that you currently own) would you grab, and what load?

Let's assume the hunt is for deer (whitetail, muleys, blacktail, etc., that should cover common game for most of the members), and is in your local region.

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Savage 110. 30-06, 150 grain hollow point boat tails.

I missed that "local region" thing with the first post.

Appropriate to the season:
Reminton 870, with reloaded sabots, 12 gauge.
T/C Hawken rifle, 45 cal Maxi balls
PSE, Carrera and carbon express arrows.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

my go to gun is my M700 mountiain rifle , and my ammo is 308 win hand loads with a 165 grain sierra BTHP gamekings on top of 45 grains varget.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

700 mountain rifle in '06.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:00 PM

Benelli Nova with 26" Rifled barrel. I know you all love your rifles, but I just love my shotguns more. The new 3 1/2 sabot slugs let me shoot out to nearly 125 yds with good accuracy.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:59 PM
DM

Well, like any other hunt from mice to moose, i'd grab my Krieghoff drilling and be able to hunt anything that comes along!!!

I'd have the shot bbls. for grouse??? The 22lr insert bbl. for all other small game or just a quiet camp gun, and of couse the 8x57jrs loaded with 200 grain Nosler partitions for EVERYTHING else!!!!

It's been working for me for many years now, so why change a good thing... :&gt))

Drilling Man

Old 02-21-2005, 01:37 PM

I am amazed right now. No one named their trusty 338RUM, 375 H&H, or even many big .30 cal mags?

Kind of amazing how the old 30-06 or 270's still work pretty good

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 02-21-2005, 07:51 PM

Ill break up the parade and say my Ruger 77 in 300 win mag, with its Leupold VX-II 3-9 scope. I actually bought it for elk in Eastern WA, but the Army stationed me in KY before season opened, killed a few whitetail there, finally made it to CO and now I'll be in Iraq for this Elk season....just cant win
Old 02-21-2005, 08:09 PM

Ok Rusty, you spoke to soon. If I were to win a hunt locally (tho the place I hunt has produced 2 over 160" 1 over 170" and a top 5 state record @ 184" so I doubt this outfitters place is gonna interest me! Can we talk about Kansas or the upper MS region?) I would go too the "deer rifle" that has never failed me in its short 5 seasons of use (but it has collected over 10 deer each year so it has some experience) my Sako TRG-S Lazzeroni Warbird. Sure its hellaciously powerful but like I say too those who ask, "I have yet to kill anything to dead with it!"

Wherever they are and I can see 'em, then Katy bar the door because they are about to get a couple of holes in their hide (always makes two holes, have never had a bullet stop, even on shots over 400yds). The load is the same as well, the 150grn Lazerhead from Lazzeroni (a tweaked Barnes Triple Shock if you will).

Thats my true "go too" gun if I have my pick. The rest of my arsenal is for the hell of it. My second pick would be a 280 700 from the Remington Custom Shop. What it lacks in pizaaz it MORE than makes up in its ability to bore one ragged hole @ 100yds with as many bullets as you want to fire down range.

Good question
RA

ps
Wahunterinrok, THANK YOU for your service too our country and above all GOD BLESS and good luck!!!

pss
Btw, DM that rifle is BEAUTIFUL. I think after amassing a small arsenal of mostly "hunting guns" the urge to begin collecting beatiful pieces of artwork has hit me. More and more I find myself looking over the stainless and plastic boomsticks and going for hand rubbed oil finishes, fancy checkering and custom engraving. I used to drool at black deathsticks like those from Jarret, Brown, McMillan, Lazzeroni etc... Now I find myself mesmerized by the shooting pieces from H&H, Weatherby's own custom shop creation's, English doubles and the like. NA$TY HABIT$ are these freaking things. But hey, they hold their value MUCH better than the latest and greatest injection molded, super metal monstrosities from every swingin you know what who calls himself a "custom gunner". (I'm practicing that phrase for when my wife asks about the money spent on the gun collection!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.