Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 brain teaser >

brain teaser

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

brain teaser

Old 02-21-2005, 03:06 PM

Default RE: brain teaser

where can you shoot a gun hundreds of yards staight up or down were there is now wind ?
Old 02-21-2005, 04:01 PM

rustaxecamp a couple of guys got the answer on the first page. it was straight up or down
Old 02-22-2005, 10:53 AM

Sorry, missed 'em. Here I was thinking to deeply in to it.

Erik

Rusty Axe Camp
Old 02-23-2005, 07:50 AM

Actually, I have a problem with the shooting straight up or down.

What about the bullet rising out of the barrel of the gun, isn't that going to cause the bullet to move "sideways" in the up or down scenario causing it to move beyond the sights of the gun.

Can you provide me with the artical or the evidence of this actually happening?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:53 AM

Actually, I have a problem with the shooting straight up or down.

What about the bullet rising out of the barrel of the gun, isn't that going to cause the bullet to move "sideways" in the up or down scenario causing it to move beyond the sights of the gun.

Can you provide me with the artical or the evidence of this actually happening?

Old 02-23-2005, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: green01

i have never been in space but i believe gun power will not go off. lack of oxygen. this is an teaser from an old shooting magazine.
Boy, you just don't understand! Smokeless powder doesn't burn, it rearranges itself into more stable compounds that occupy a lot more space, and in the process release a lot of heat! This rearrangement is in the form of a shockwave that travels throught the powder grains, just like a high exposive does, except slower due to additives and the colloiding process. Black gunpowder does burn, but it carries its' own oxygen in it (the saltpeter/possasium nitrate).

Just how much oxygen do you think there is in a cartridge or a gun barrel? NOT ENOUGH TO SUPPORT THE COMBUSTION OF ANY POWDER CHARGE!!

A firearm will fire just fine in a vacuum as well as in the atmosphere, and underwater also!
Old 02-23-2005, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

what caliber and what gun can shoot hundreds of yards and the bullet never falls below or raises above the sight of the bore. and how is it done. if you older guys know how to do it hold off a bit and make these younger guys think this over.

The line of sight and line of the bore are two different lines! In a situation where gravity is present, like on Earth oe some other celestial body (moon!!) the bullet will neither rise above nor fall below THE LINE OF THE BORE IF THE WEAPON IS FIRED VERTICALLY (UP OR DOWN) AT A PERFECT 0 DEGREE ANGLE TO THE DIRECTION OF THE FORCE OF GRAVITY. However, the amount of dleflection the bullet will take to the LINE OF SIGHT depends on how many degrees the line of sight diverges from the line of the bore, as most must do to hit a target when fired horizontally.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

that's pretty neat never heard that before. does that mean that once a day they had to duck when the bullet came back around.
No, because even the moon has gravity! Not as much as Earth, but it's there. If fired perfectally parallel to the surface of the moon, a bullet will travel a little over 6X farther than it would on Earth before striking the ground, but it will strike the ground!
Old 02-23-2005, 09:13 AM

eldeguello SLOW DOWN KILLER. RELAX WE ARE TRYING TO HAVE SOME FUN HERE. man where do these guys come from. [:'(][:'(]
Old 02-23-2005, 10:07 AM

lance armstrong and i forget the other guys name

Niel Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin! (Not sure on the Spelling of the second last name)

and of course Lance Armstrong would be the American that won the Tour De France 5 times!

Quick Reply: brain teaser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.