Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 problem sighting in rifle >

problem sighting in rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

problem sighting in rifle

Old 02-15-2005, 02:52 PM

Default problem sighting in rifle

I came across a very weird situation while sighting in my savage 270. I have a bushnell banner 6-18x50 scope on it. I got it dead on from 100 yards. It was about an inch low from 200 yards(which is what i expected). But then I got curious and shot 50 yards with it. It was consistently 3-4 inches low. Does a bullet rise that much that it would be low from 50 yards. I dont like this bc i hunt in the woods alot and most of my kills are from 75 yards and closer. Am i crazy or has this happened to anyone else.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: problem sighting in rifle

How high your scope is monted from your gun barrel?
The bullet and scope intersect at 100yrds.Thats your zero. I'm not sure of the distance your crosshairs and muzzle are in inches.But generally it is about 2.5"-3".If you have higher mounts that could be the reason why its
shooting a little low for you.In reality it is not going to make a difference
to the animal,unless you do a head shot.But a well placed shot will kill the animal.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

A bullet does'nt rise once it leaves your gun barrel, its plain of flight may rise in a arch so to say but it does'nt rise on its own, Do you have see-thru mounts on your rifle? the closer you can get the center of your bore to the center of your crosshairs the better off you will be, Since you are using a 50mm scope you probably have some sort of high rings mounted, thats the reason you are seeing this kind of difference.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:18 PM

This is my first 50mm scope. I have always had 32 or 40mm. I am not really confidnet with it yet. the distance from the bore to the cross hairs is about 3-4 inches. I realize that 100 yards is my "zero" point. If I am shooting 30-40 yards..would u as a hunter ever consider aiming a bit high to try to compensate for this 3-4 inch in difference. No my scope rings are not see through. It will not matter much as long as you get the vitals but..with a real close shot I am tempted to aim high to compensate..what is your advice
Old 02-15-2005, 07:55 PM

try different sight in's ; try 1" high at 50 yards and see how you like that.

I sight in at 25 yards. dead on at 25 and it is on at 250. that is my 243 with 100 gr. bullets.

my wife can't remember to (do as you were thinking) to aime different than sighted.so I sight hers like mine.then she can aim dead on at any distance she shoot at.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

It shouldn't make a difference.as long as you have enough vital area of the game to hit.
I sight my 06 3"high at 100yrds.This is roughly zero at 25yrds and zero at
just over 200.It verys from gun to gun but thats what mine hits.
The vitals behind the deer shoulder is eight to 10 inches depending of the size of animal.Less if you shoot elsewhere.So it all depends on the situation as to weather or not you compensate.
One thing I'm wondering though is why did you purchase a 50mm scope if most of your shots are 75yrds and under.
The only reason I ask is because your going to find that you'll have a harder time focusing on the animal with a 50mm objective lens compared to one with a 36 or 42 at distances 75yrds and under.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:20 PM

ive been looking for this gun for a while.. I got a great deal on it...it just happened to come with a bit to much scope on it..Its a nice scope but a 32 or 40mm scope would suit my hunting area better. I am learning with this one.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Could be the high mounts or scope. Depending on ammo (same every time? not just make but loads and weights?) I wouldn't guess too much this way or that. I'm curious how it performs with the iron sights. I STRONGLY AGREE with Jef in regards to scope choice (high/variable magnification). A decent, 4X fixed would be great up to 150 yards, but definately for under 100/75 yards. Maybe you can sell off the "nicer" scope for a decent $ to cover a "proper" scope or if not, that's why gun cabinets have drawers and shelves. LOL.

Good luck. Those Savages are shooters.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 02-15-2005, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh I understand.
I'm glad you got a great deal on the gun/scope.
Good luck.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:02 PM

The way you sighted in your rifle the bullet is converging with your line of sight for the first time at 100 yards. It will continue to rise above the line of sight until it gets so high it won't hit a deer, then come down somewhere so far off as to be without enough energy to hurt a mouse when it gets there. If it was my rifle I'd zero it somewhere closer, say 25 yards. That way you won't be shooting over the back of a buck while aiming right at him. With a 130 grain bullet you should be zeroed again at roughly 275 yards and can expect the bullet will never get more than 4" or so high, which ought to prevent missing the one at 185 yards. The bullet can be expected to not fall more that 4" or so until it passes 325 yards down range. Try that, you'll like it, knowing you are shooting a death ray that don't require holdin' over deer as far off as you can see 'em. Your figures WILL vary because your scope is mounted higher than mine, those numbers worked for me.

Quick Reply: problem sighting in rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.