Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun for Hogs/Javelina >

Gun for Hogs/Javelina

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun for Hogs/Javelina

Old 02-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun for Hogs/Javelina

But yep I am told those Javelinas do have some powerful stink.

Thats no joke..... man do they have some powerful stink. take the stink of jack rabbits bowl multiply by 1000 and you get javelina stink.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:22 PM

Did ya'll know that javelina are in a diffent family than pigs completely. They are not pigs. Anyways...how about 30/30 for hogs? Any experiences?
Old 02-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did ya'll know that javelina are in a diffent family than pigs completely. They are not pigs. Anyways...how about 30/30 for hogs? Any experiences?

hmmm then what family are they from?? the horse family?? according to someone i know in missouri they are small horses lol. Well...... they look like a pig and have a pig nose, a pig tail, pig hooves and the males have tusks just like male pigs, they make sounds just like a pig.......... oh and the meat is the same texture and tastes just like pig just alittle more gamie........ you know the old saying if it looks like a pig and sounds like a pig its a pig. the only difference is they have alot more hair then your regular pig.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

The interenet is a great place for quick info.... that said I just read that Javelina are not pigs but more or less they are their own specie class and if they were compared to another specie they would be closer to a hippo or a rhino than a pig. and that they stink because of a dorsal gland which can be carefully removed during skinning and does not effect the quality and taste of the meat aslong it is removed properly. good info totally openned my eyes i look at these critters with a bit more respect now
Old 02-19-2005, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

you guys are exaggerating the stink, we took a couple if javelina this past season and I personnaly cleaned them and they are not that bad .
Desert wolf is correct, they are pig like but they are not pigs , more related to a kangaroo rat than a pig. I have video of my son who took one this year with a 125 yd shot. Pretty cool video, wish I knew how to put it here for you guys to see. He shot it with my .243 and it destroyed the whole front half, I wouldnt reccomend using a .280 or 7 mag or even a 30-06 on them. They are small animals, 30-40 lbs is average. Hunting them with a handgun would be sport, as they are very easily stalked.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep i wouldnt use anything real big as far as calibers go before i mentioned the use of a 22 magnum and also a 223 is ideal for the longer shots, i think this year im gonna try using my 30-30 with cowboy loads pushing a 160 grain cast lead bullet at around 1300 fps this should do the trick with minimal meat loss.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Hello Hunter401.

RIGHT-ON Georgetownboys........sounds like you have done it a time or three or a Hundred?

I use 35 Rem. on ferels.Down here they get 200 to 300lbs,good dog food! We prefer 75 to 85 for the table.

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!
Old 02-25-2005, 01:50 PM

HighDesertWolf. . .the Javelina is a member of the Pecari family.

Check this web page. . . .http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...ri_tajacu.html
Old 03-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Mark whiz

Either the 280 or the .30-06 will get the job done just fine. I WOULD advise not using the Ballistic tip bullets though. I've had BAD luck with them on hogs in .308win. They tend to explode on impact - leaving MASSIVE entry wounds & sub-caliber exit holes. Any good standard bullet for either rifle will work fine - the Partitions, Sierra Gamekings, Barnes Triple Shocks, or even the old Rem Core-Lokts will put Porky right on the ground.

Mark.....you don't think .280 or 30-06 is to much for Javelinas? Just asking!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:54 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jmfa1957

A decent 7mm bullet on top of a .280 has plenty of power for hogs.

jmfa1957.....I'm a little confused about a 7mm bullet on top of a .280.....?

Quick Reply: Gun for Hogs/Javelina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.