Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 340 Weatherby, any opinions? >

340 Weatherby, any opinions?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

340 Weatherby, any opinions?

Old 02-14-2005, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 340 Weatherby, any opinions?

I just won a 340 Weatherby Mark V and wondered if anyone here has one or knows someone who does. From what I've found so far it seems like it ought to be a flat shooting, hard hitting gun adequate for all but the biggest, most dangerous big game species.

Most of all I know the price was right
Old 02-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 340 Weatherby, any opinions?

thats a whole lot of gun i've shot one from the bench it ain't no fun.i do know 2 guys that deer hunt with them here in ga. and by the way its enough gun to kill any dangerous game.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

know a guy that bought one dirt cheap to deer hunt with...gun shop out of anyother caliber in his price range or somethin.....he deerhunted with it till he ran out of ammo...never hit one....but man that gun barked...he showed up with a 270 this year.....told us the bank declined him a loan for a new box of shells.....last year he had 2 or 3 and cept sayin he had to take a loan out for a box of shells.....fun times.....but seriously shells were like 80bucks a box or something....before id ever fire a round id think long and hard about it...if i had no use id sell it for a half decint price....and buy something i always wanted.....sell it new in box....instead of used....dont bother firing it if you dont want to keep it.....sure it will shoot flat and fast and packs alot of heat....but if your not hunting elk at long range or dangerous game hunting id definenetly swap it for a new gun....scope.....anything id use and havea good use for......thats just me..
Old 02-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's a very powerful,flat shooting round but factory loads are very expensive and the recoil is more than many people can handle.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:08 PM

If I was guidin' on one of them Kodiak bear islands I think I'd have two or three, but there ain't many of them giant bears here, so I probably won't get one.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I won it I would try to sell it. Unless you feel that you would ever need that big of gun, you just as well get something useful for the type of hunting. It is much bigger than needed for even elk and moose. Yet its probably not suited for the biggest most dangerous game.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:12 PM

Ain't no way I'd sell a .340 Weatherby Magnum.

Don't know what I'd shoot with it, but like that matters.

I guess if I wanted to hunt Elk and Bear, I might consider trading it for a .30-378 or 300 Wby, or even the .300 Remingtom ultra.

I love the Weatherby's but greatly prefer the Mark V Deluxe's to the Accumark. I don't think the .30-378 is available in the Deluxe.

Additionally, as others pointed out, it's probably not enough gun to take on a Safari for dangerous game (.378 Weatherby would work though) and the 340 at 50 yards would do something bad to a deer if you weren't using FMJ's.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a Weatherby Mark V Sporter .340 Wby. Mag. with a Pentax Lightseeker II 4-16x44, and it is an excellent rifle. All the animals I have killed with it have been one shot kills. The longest one traveled was 30 yds. My handload of choice is a 250 gr. Barnes XFB @ 3062 f/s 5204 ft/lb; producing .408" three shot group at 100m. It is powerfull enough to kill anything that walks the earth, but the caliber is not legal to kill dangerous game in some African countries. If I ever travel to Africa I will use it for plains game, and leave the dangerous game to a .416 Wby. Mag. You won a excellent rifle. Good luck with it!!
Old 02-14-2005, 11:28 PM

The 340 wby is a cart. that has more recoil than most people can handle or like,for the most part one doesn,t go out to pop off a couple boxes of shells. After the 5th round one gets a little sore. It a great gun,and i wouldn,t trade mine for anything. It does have its uses and if you are hunting deer you don,t need that much pjower. The 300 wby is still the best all around one to shoot most anything with.The bigger wby 30 cals have heavy type recaoil also. I have all the Wby cal. and have shot all many times. I usually use my 7mmWby for most animals, Big guns are for big game. vangunsmith.. Oh also the ammo is hard to find but if you reload,use 300 Wby brass and just put it in your 340 sizing die. Just be sure the inside of the neck is lubed with a brush. No problem,a 340 is just a 300 case necked up anyway,and 300 brass is easier to find. vangunsmith
Old 02-14-2005, 11:46 PM
Fork Horn

I know it makes a heck of a moose/griz gun for hunting in alaska. My buddies dad has one that has enver failed to drop anything it has shot, 2 griz, 7 moose, and 9 carabou. He shoots 210s for carabou and 250s for moose/bear.

Quick Reply: 340 Weatherby, any opinions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.