Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

FMJ

Old 02-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default FMJ

i know the FMJ does not expand when entering or exiting. this weekend i had the chance to shoot a hog with one and there was a huge chunk of flesh missing from the other side. maybe it was the bullet tumbling through the hog but the exit wound was huge. i was very impressed. maybe the distance of the shot had something to do with it.. it was about 30 yards. hit him infront of the shoulder in the neck area. pretty cool.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FMJ

Congrads! but the FMJ is deff not a big game bullet if u keep using them im afraid u are going to get more negative results than positive. Good luck getting so more pork!
Old 02-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

i'm probably going to get scolded from many hunters on the forum but we dont eat the hogs we kill. nobody does really. if there not trapped most people just through the carcass in a ditch or just drag them out of the field.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

If ur just going to waste them u should find some hunters who would want some pork and invite them to come in and hunt them so then they would go 2 good use. Wild boar is good eating and look like they would be a blast to hunt i hope to get to hunt them here very soon!
Old 02-10-2005, 07:38 PM
bigcountry

Curious Dk, why don't ya eat em? Are they that much more gamey than domestic hog where you are at?

Old 02-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

your bullet might have stuck the sholder blade and the bone fragments would have made the exit hole larger.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Was your .243 buddy using FMJ's also? If not, what bullet was he using?

FMJ is in no way intended to be a hunting bullet. Never was and never will be.

It is designed to wound rather than to kill.

If you do not eat the pigs there are a ton of charaties that will take the meat. Look into "Hunters feeding the Hungry". They will pick up the bill for the processing. All you have to do is drop it off and tell the processor to donate it. Since you are loading it in the truck to dump it in a ditch any way you may as well feed someone with it.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:19 PM

A FMJ will come apart if it hits a hard enought resistance,and there are plenty of bones in a pigs shoulders. Most of the time a FMJ will ju;st pass throught if it doesn,t hit a bone,but hit one bone and it will bounce all over in the insides. Just a th;ought is it leagal to use a FMJ inf your state? Its not here. I love h;unting and shooting them. vangunsmith
Old 02-11-2005, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

And you wanted to put down people using a 243 Win? First of all if you aren't going to eat the hogs you have no business shooting them, secondly use the right bullet for the job and it isn't a FMJ genius.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

dkhammer, I am wondering what cartridge and bullet weight you used. Where I go, we have nothing but tasty domestic hogs. I have heard from some shooters that feral hogs taste bad and are not processed; a fact of life in some places. In the years that I reloaded and fired a 222 Rem on a county range, I used to get razzed by conservation officers for owning a "poachers gun." The round had developed a rep for poaching deer.

The old 5.56 nato would break at the cannelure and cause all kinds of wound damage. I can't help but wonder if that might be the case here. In any event, I would skip this configuration if I was trying for pelts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.