Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

12 ga slugs

Old 02-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 12 ga slugs

I want to purchase some 12 ga slugs. I currently own some of the cheapies i.e. the plain jane Rem sluggers that are $2.50 a box. I am going on a boar hunt next month, and am taking my 870 along. Now I was at my gun shop the other day checking out all of the slugs available, and noticed something that confused me. I first check the Win supremes (45 saboted) high dollar stuff, at $12.50/5, then I saw the Fed Hyda shock (.45 saboted) for $10/5 and lastly they had Brenneke Rottweils for $5.45/5. I have always heard that Brenneke makes excellent slugs, can anyone tell me why I should or should not pay double the amount for the high dollar stuff? Are the Brenneke's considered a top of the line slug? I wanna take a very reliable and top quality shell on my hunt, but am not familiar with the slug line. Help!!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 08:47 PM

Default RE: 12 ga slugs

i think the brenneke are still foster type slugs.

I prefer the Remington Copper solid, but have heard great things about Winchester Partition Gold's too.

Both are a sabot design and require a rifled barrel to work correctly, but a well sighted gun in either of those slugs is good for 100-130yds through iron sights.

Mat
Old 02-09-2005, 08:56 PM

I prefer to shoot the Winchester Supreme Partition Gold's, but I shoot a fully rifled barrel. The more expensives slugs that you are looking at are sabot slugs made for rifled barrels. You didn't mention if your 870 had a fully rifled barrel or not. If not, you should opt for the Foster type rifled slugs. If your barrel is rifled, you will get the best performance and range from saboted slugs. Either way, you'll have plenty of power for a hog!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Fork Horn

Mossy,

I shoot the Winchester Supremes. By far the most accurate slug I have shot. I shot the rotweilers, not impressed. I have a Sportsman's 12 with a cante mount. Leoupold vx II 3-9. We party hunt and all came to an empty goose house. It took me three shots to hit it but after I got the height right, I nailed it continously. The pumpkin lobbers couldn't come close. Ranged it at 217 yards. I will not shoot anything else for slugs. I am very confident with that at 150 yds. Winchester Supremes are the ticket as well as the fully rifled barrel.

My advice, make the up front investment and it will only take one shot after that. Everyone is so worried about price of ammo but when it comes down to it you are making one upfront investment for sighting it in and it pays to have a one shot kill. I am a broke college kid to. Some things are worth the investment.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are shooting a smooth bore barrel with a smooth choke then do not shoot the saboted slugs. You will not get any kind of accuracy from them and they will go tumbling through the air on their way down range. You need to stick with the foster style (rifled) slugs.

You can use a rifled choke tube and shoot the saboted slugs through it.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

mossy,
To clarify they are the Winchester Supremes Partition Golds Sabot slugs.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:05 AM
bigcountry

Mossy, I have two box's of the winchesters partition gold if you want to buy them. I had to buy them cause I went to return some things at the shore sportsman on the Eastern shore and they said only returns, and last stuff they had.

My two sluggers love 1oz 2.75" remington copper solids. One kinda likes the federal hydroshocks.

The benneke rottwiels usually don't do well at 100 yards. Lose alot of moementum but for close up boar hunting, would be awesome. I also have a bunch of box's of those if intereseted. Actually I got you covered on almost everything including lightfields.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:28 PM

Mossy,,, What type barrel is on your 870. Smooth bore or rifled???
Old 02-11-2005, 06:56 AM

ORIGINAL: haugenna

mossy,
To clarify they are the Winchester Supremes Partition Golds Sabot slugs.
matt- only things i shot from deer to bear
Old 02-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JOE-BEEF

Mossy,,, What type barrel is on your 870. Smooth bore or rifled???
I have the fully rifled barrel no cantilever, saddle type scope mount (leupold)

I only need a slug that will shoot accuratley up to 50-75 yrds for hogs but I want enough stopping power to hit it hard!!!!

Quick Reply: 12 ga slugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.