Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Most versatile >

Most versatile

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Most versatile

Old 02-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Most versatile

I 308 Win. or 7mm Rem. Mag. is excellent for game up to and including Moose. For grizzly I would recomend 375 H&H mag.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to agree w/ either the 45/70 or .450 Marlin. I have a .450 Marlin and you can hunt anything you want in North America. It's bigger than you need for deer though it works good for them. Also any of the larger .30 calibers would work fine. The new .325 WSM looks interesting as well. I'm thinking about getting one though I really have no use for one.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

30-06 or 300 WSM.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:31 PM

Now, lets look at this!!! If you have a .222 people say do not shoot deer with it right? If you have a .243 those same people, (And I am one of them) tell you do not shoot Elk or Moose with the itty bitty thing, correct? Now have you ever had a person tell you not to shoot a deer with a .375 H&H? Probably not, in reality if you want to hunt anything anywhere there is probably not a better choice. Now hear me out before you blast me. Bullets for those big guys like the H&H are designed for tougher game then the fragle Whitetail so you do not get violent expansion lik you do from a 7mm or .30 Magnum. However you get far more penitration then any of the small callibers. If you want to take a Texas heart shot with a .375, do it you will have an exit hole!(not that you will need it if you did your part right)
Ya I know you probably think I am nuts but that is OK. I hunt deer and every thing else even in Africa with my .366DGW and it does the job well, meat damage is less then with my .308 Norma Mag and I enjoy using the rifle so think about the really big stuff.
This fall, if I have it regulated and finished, watch out deer my new rifle is a double 450 #2 Nitro Express. Not a long range propisition but a great gun for the woods.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing wrong with a 450 Nitro. or a 450 Marlin or a 45-70 they will all shoot a big hole clear through a deer. But I have an idea that my 25-06 will kill them just as dead and just as fast.

Nice looking rifle you showed on another post. I have an action like the old Eddiestone only its 303 British. Would that be a p-14 action? Thats something I should know and probaly did at one time.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:25 AM

If you reload .330/06 , if not .35 Whelan. My opinion.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:19 AM

Take out the big brown bears and the 30'06 is my choice. I can't imagine shooting a WTD or antelope with one of those big magnums. Just sighting one in is brutal. Buy a 375 for the bear hunt, then put the scope back on the 30'06 and sell the magnum. If you can afford a bear hunt, you can afford a proper magnum for the job. just my 2 cents. good luck, Rick.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:47 AM

35 Whelan
338 Win Mag
45-70
In that order.

Those would be my choices. They won't be overkill on deer until you hit them wrong. All are manageable recoil, and practice will help assure good placement as always.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

while i am partial to the 35 Whelen i'd also have to toss in the 350 Remington magnum. They are almost ballistically even. I'd even venture to say just buy a 300 or 338 RUM... not exactly practical for midwestern deer and such and maybe a bit hard on the shoulder, but i'd sure rather have too much firepower when i don't need it than not have enough when i do.

If you are a handloader then regular ole plain jane offerings become much much more attractive and versitile. If not then stick to a cartridge that is available over the shelf in a wide varity bullets choices, weights and velocities.

The Whelen (35 and 375), AI and non AI have been used for the biggest, toughest game on the face of the earth at one time or another. Tailor the bullet and the load to the situation and run with it. Ammunition is no where near as popular or available as many others out there though.

JMHI

Jamie
Old 02-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Hello Marine Stud,

Most guides in Wyoming and Colorado, reguire minimun .338WM to go up in the mountains with horses.
Grizz's love horse meat!..............Deer to moose,.300MAG will do fine.

KEEPING ON ROOTING!!!

Quick Reply: Most versatile

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.