Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is there any .300 RUM fans here? >

Is there any .300 RUM fans here?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is there any .300 RUM fans here?

Old 01-25-2005, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is there any .300 RUM fans here?

i understand that remington is in business to make weapons, ammo and a line of products but why would you stop making certain ammunition? I have a .300 RUM and "its" best round is the 200gn. nosler partition. it also shoots the 180gn scirroco well and i heard that remington is stopping the production of both. My ammo dealer is my source of info and i do think he is reliable but this is crazy. i've tried to dig and find out myself but no luck. this rifle is my baby. i went ahead and bought his last case of the 200gn. nosler partitions that day he told me. hit me back if you know anything about this or just a fan of the round.

NO PLACE LIKE HUNTING BIG WILD PIGS LIKE THE RED RIVER IN TEXAS!
Old 01-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is there any .300 RUM fans here?

It looks as if there is at least some truth to him telling you this. I just looked at Remingtons web site and they no longer list the 200 grain partition. They do still list the 180 grain "S" bullet though.

Federal added the 200 grain partition to their lineup for the 300 UM this year though so all is not lost.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

dkhamner:

It sounds like you need to look into handloading. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have two 300ultramags but if I didn't handload,I wouldn't bother with them as factory loads are too mild to gain much advantage over the 300winmag.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:42 PM
bigcountry

DK, if you dig in some of thier financial statements, you will find they took some loss's on the new offerings and WSM really kicked thier butts. First off, I was told by engineer at Remington manufactuing, when the 300RUM came out, that the partitions was a temporary thing until they winded up the Corelok ultra. The scirrocos turned out badly for them also. He said they haven't had good reports of accuracy with them. I was one that hated them also.

I believe, remington is doing what they shouldn't do financially but I see companies do everyday. Thats streamlining all ammo lines, to make up loss's from a few. The 7mmRUM I believe is on its way out.

If thier CEO is anything like mine, he lives Quarter to Quarter, not seeing the long term effect of his choices to make money this quarter.

Old 01-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I have two 300ultramags but if I didn't handload,I wouldn't bother with them as factory loads are too mild to gain much advantage over the 300winmag.

I agree to an extent but also disagree some too, I shot some of Rem. factory junk...I mean ammo and after 4" groups I decided to reload for my 300 RUM, now with the help of some of the guys on here, I'm shooting 3/4" groups with Accubonds and couldnt be happier, however my velocity is not "smokin" like stubble likes to do, I think the 3150 fps I shoot combined with the accuracy I achieve is worth me reloading them. But I am a huge 300 rum fan, I hate to see it not flourish.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think the 3150 fps I shoot combined with the accuracy I achieve is worth me reloading them.
With 180gr handloads the 300win mag will produce 3100fps and deliver less recoil while doing it.For the sake of 50fps,I would stick with the 300win mag.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:57 AM
bigcountry

With 180gr handloads the 300win mag will produce 3100fps and deliver less recoil while doing it.For the sake of 50fps,I would stick with the 300win mag.
Why would you do that? The guy already has the gun, he found a load very quickly and is quite happy. Does your animal know the difference? Should mossy go out and sell the gun right away cause it doesn't meet your criteria of 3400fps? I mean the guy has a gun that he is happy with, and it would be stupid to take a loss on a trade just to try to get to a "hype or bragging" number. Seems to me anyway.

And you are forgetting an important thing. His 300RUM has the option to go faster and with more powder. Your 300win does not.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I mean the guy has a gun that he is happy with, and it would be stupid to take a loss on a trade just to try to get to a "hype or bragging" number.
My point is that if the extra velocity was not important,I would not have bought the 300ultramag in the first place.I would have bought the 300winmag instead.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

stubblejumper, I agree with what you are saying. I guess I want my cake and be able to eat it too. I bought the gun for higher speeds, and I do want to be accurate as well. I am working with the .200 grain accubond right now, I am using three different type of powders to work up loads with. Retumbo, H1000, RL25. Its time consumeing but a lot of fun too. I'll post the results of my tests after I go shooting.

Quick Reply: Is there any .300 RUM fans here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.