Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 ZEISS/LEOPOLD ?? >

ZEISS/LEOPOLD ??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ZEISS/LEOPOLD ??

Old 01-19-2005, 08:15 PM

Default ZEISS/LEOPOLD ??

i've been wanting a new scope and want some opinions on the zeiss conquest vs the leopold vari x III. Mainly how well you can see with them right at dark?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:46 PM

Default RE: ZEISS/LEOPOLD ??

I tried 'em both in the gun shop. I narrowed it down to the same choices as you. ZC or VX 111. They had a deer-in-low-light they set up to try just what you're asking. My eye couldn't tell. Put up one, then the other, again, again, just couldn't tell. They adjusted the light down further, still couldn't tell.

Just to be sure, I tried a lower end Burris, couldn't see a thing. Put the Leupold back up, scoped the deer. Zeiss, same picture. Over and over. No difference.

They're both American made, I'm pretty sure. I know Zeiss Conquest is, despite the German heritage. I heard Leupold uses asian lenses, but maybe they all do. Who knows? So picked up the Zeiss because it was $50 less.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned and used both and to my eyes the conquest is noticeably brighter.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned a Conquest since they first came on the market, about 4 years ago. In fact, mine was on order at BearBasin before they even had any in stock back in 2001. Since that time on numerous occassions I've tested it (and another Conquest I acquired later) side by side with various Leupold Vari-X III's and one new VX-III. These comparisons were outside in real world hunting conditions. As far as optical quality is concerned, the Conquests are simply better in my experience. The biggest difference is their ability to resolve detail better than the Leupolds. I can remember one day in particular last year when I was comparing a new VX-III 3.5-10x40 against the 3-9x40 Conquest. I was looking at an old barn about 100 yards away. There was a nail head in a piece of wood that was clearly visible when looking through the Conquest. However, when looking at it through the Leupold, I couldn't make it out and no amount of focus adjustment made it better. That particular Conquest has been on my .300 Weatherby for the past 3 1/2 years or so and has seen at least 700 rounds of ammo fired under it and it has given me zero problems. If I were you I'd go with the Conquest.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

My second Conquest came to me by accident. A friend of mine bought one didn't like the way it fit in his Talley Rings and asked me if I wanted to buy it. I immediately bought it and he went out and bought a new VX-III 3.5-10x40 (DUH). We went to the range this past weekend and I looked thru this new Leupold wonder scope and low and behold the sight picture and reticle were plainly not as clear as the Zeiss. Further proof in the pudding was when at 100 yards he couldn't see his bullet holes and he kept looking thru my Leupold spotting scope to see where he was hitting. All the while I was laughing to myself. I pointed out the location of said holes with my Zeiss without having to use my spotting scope. This irked him to no end and yesterday he said he would like to purchase his scope back. I firmly told him NO WAY. Now if I could only find a buyer for this Leupold spotter and get a Zeiss spotter I would be happy.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I a big Leupold fan but my next "QUALITY" scope I buy will be a Zeiss...
Old 01-20-2005, 09:58 AM

Thanks for all the input. Kinda what i had been told by a couple of local guys here, but wanted some other opinions. Look out Zeiss here i come.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I concur with Solitary Man I compared the Conquest to the Vari x III I own & as well the New VX III it proved better optically (especially contrast) and now have 2 - Zeiss as a result. I have been extremely pleased with the performance, IMO it is a very good choice.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:55 PM

Guess I'm lucky I picked the Zeiss. I sure couldn't tell from the shop test, though.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guess I'm lucky I picked the Zeiss. I sure couldn't tell from the shop test, though.
The only way to really see the difference in scopes is to compare them in actual hunting conditions.

Quick Reply: ZEISS/LEOPOLD ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.