Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 took the new 25-06 out today for deer. >

took the new 25-06 out today for deer.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

took the new 25-06 out today for deer.

Old 01-07-2005, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: took the new 25-06 out today for deer.

Congrats on your harvest!
Old 01-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

I just ordered a 25-06 hvy barrel to try on my encore.Ordered a set of dies and a box of the 117 sst.Anyone got a good load to try first?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Job! The 25-06 is an excecelent caliber...
Old 01-07-2005, 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: herman

I just ordered a 25-06 hvy barrel to try on my encore.Ordered a set of dies and a box of the 117 sst.Anyone got a good load to try first?
Whatever hornady is using on their factory SST interlock loads. It doesn't kick and it has amazing performance on game. I don't think it is all that hot, looks pretty far from max. I got a box of 117 SST interlocks here and they read 2990 at the muzzle in 117 grain. IMO you don't need any hotter than that, it really pounds the game.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys. I have not tried the Hornady sst's as yet but I probably will. I do have a VX-l 3x9 scope and I like it real well except for the no click adjuster. I went to the Aetec because of the 5 inches of eye relief for some of my 45-70's. The one on the 25-06 is there to stay. Its a 2.5X10X42. It had a 3 1/2 inch sunshade with it which I sure like for dawn and dusk shooting. The draws on my land run north and south so in the morning you fight the sun rise and in evening, the sunset. We went out this morning but we have blowing snow and blizzard conditions today. It was 25 below yesterday morning so we waited until evening to go out. It was up to 12 above by then. We got between 8 and 12 inches of snow in the last couple days. I would quess we saw a hundred muley does yesterday in just a few hours. We didn't get a shot until toward dark. I could have shot a couple more then but we feared we would not get them field dressed before it got dark and it was down close to zeor again by then.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: James B

Thanks guys. I have not tried the Hornady sst's as yet but I probably will. I do have a VX-l 3x9 scope and I like it real well except for the no click adjuster. I went to the Aetec because of the 5 inches of eye relief for some of my 45-70's. The one on the 25-06 is there to stay. Its a 2.5X10X42. It had a 3 1/2 inch sunshade with it which I sure like for dawn and dusk shooting. The draws on my land run north and south so in the morning you fight the sun rise and in evening, the sunset. We went out this morning but we have blowing snow and blizzard conditions today. It was 25 below yesterday morning so we waited until evening to go out. It was up to 12 above by then. We got between 8 and 12 inches of snow in the last couple days. I would quess we saw a hundred muley does yesterday in just a few hours. We didn't get a shot until toward dark. I could have shot a couple more then but we feared we would not get them field dressed before it got dark and it was down close to zeor again by then.

Sounds good. Didn't realize they had 5 inches of eye relief, I know my simmons 44 mag doesn't have anywhere near that much, much less than the VX-1 which I guess is close to 4 inches. When does your season end, our ended the 31st, it is long time until turkey season. I could go squirrel hunting but I just can't get excited about it anymore. My wife won't touch them and I am the only one in my house that will eat them. So I have to clean them, cut them up, cook them. It is a lot of work for not much meat and then she makes rude comments. I'm glad she likes venison though...
Old 01-07-2005, 11:13 AM

Congrats! sounds like a nice rifle. wish i had one[&o] how much is ammo?
Old 01-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Doe Dumper. Yea you better get a couple of those Aetecs on the shelf. Clearanceman. Yea my wife not only loves to eat them but she had this one field dressed by the time I had the tag ready to put on it. I used to hunt with two of her brothers before we ever went out. She almost always went along and always helped field dress the game and helped cut and wrap the meat. She also fillets a mean fish. She can cook fish thats out of this world. Just an all around ranch girl. She likes to break and train horse in her spare time. She likes to hunt as well and uses a 250-3000 Savage in the Remington 700 classic. I used to trade guns a lot but she told me that if the goes to the gun cabnet for the 250 Savage that It Better Be There. Our rifle season ends Sunday but Muzzle loader goes all this month yet.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

James,

You are a lucky man.

Tom
Old 01-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thats for sure. By far the best thing thats ever happened to me. 37 years and counting.

Quick Reply: took the new 25-06 out today for deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.