Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Long Distance >

Long Distance

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Long Distance

Old 01-12-2005, 04:52 PM

Default RE: Long Distance

stubs if it eases your mind, I have stalked (and killed, there IS a difference) with a bow. I occasionally hunt from the ground during gunseason and hunt from a Double Bull ground blind ALOT during early bowseason. Africa wise I havent been there. Back in 87 my family had a 21 day trip planned, booked (even the outfitter came over and gave us a slide presentation) and was ready to go. The WHOLE family was going, wives and everything. Leopards, Lions, Zebras, Buffs you name it. Only Elephants and Rhino were going to pose special problems and cost TON$$$ more. Then a sister-in-law came up pregnant and the whole thing went south from there. [:@] EVENTUALLY we are going. As you said the trips really are no more than alot of trips out west and multiple species are available.

9 boxes in 5 years aint much, like I said the gun is easy to shoot all the way too 600yds so why pull the trigger alot @ $5 per pull? Did I say it was my only rifle? I shoot much more than most, just not the same gun over and over. And besides when hunting season closes its time to get the bassboat out and also time to chase turkeys!

Chasing them on the ground, well thats a really low odds style of hunting in states where the herd is over 1 million. There are literally HUNDREDS of deer running around in each woodlot. Walking is sure to bust em for miles. We have maybe 1 snow per decade during deer season in west TN as well. I would LOVE to sneak along in the snow and trail up a buck like you guys in Maine do. Would LOVE it! But again that would be tough as you would be constantly bumping deer. I hunt a place in southern MO that has large sections of mature hardwoods. When the rut is just right and the ground is wet I have been known to climb down and slip along through the woods. Its a very enjoyable way to hunt. But again, you typically arent going to walk up on a 150" buck very often. The stands are much more productive.

Good luck,
RA
Old 01-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

mule1028,

I started reading all the answers to your question, I got bored and quit. I'll say this, the 06, 270, and 308 will kill any deer you can see, if you can hit it. All 3 calibers are good deer cartridges and even though I haven't had the opportunity to hunt elk size animals, I'd bet the farm that either one will take an elk.

Personally, I have a 06 and 308, just never wanted a 270 because of the 06. But if the mood ever hits me, I'd buy one in a minute. So just go with what you like, if not satisfied, get another one.

dog1
Old 01-12-2005, 05:22 PM

Stubs? I do not get that but up here in Maine for the most part we do not have snow during deer season and yes still hunting is the best way to spook other deer who warn the one you are after. Or push him on to another hunter, both have happened to me when I used to do a lot of still hunting.
The reason the big mag are not liked in Africa is that game over there is far tougher then our critters and "deer" quality bullets often fail and also as I am sure you have seen, (I get the idea you have a shop) that there are a lot of people who believe that if they can not connect with a 3006 then they can with a magnum. In addition to this for some people seem to believe that every thing in Africa needs a cannon to kill it.
You should plan a trip and for plans game your Warbird would work great with premium bullets like the Swift A Frame. I would run a 180 grain bullet for the critters over there from personal experiance I can say they are tough and you will need penitration. I can also say that if you love hunting, seeing all sorts of game, like hundreds of animals a day and also being spoiled rotten then you would love it. I would also bet it would not be your last trip. If you want to talk about it and I do not book or sell hunts just love talking about Africa give me a call !!!! 207-938-3595
Old 01-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would LOVE to sneak along in the snow and trail up a buck like you guys in Maine do.
Stubs? I do not get that but up here in Maine for the most part we do not have snow during deer season and yes still hunting is the best way to spook other deer who warn the one you are after. Or push him on to another hunter, both have happened to me when I used to do a lot of still hunting.
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.I am not from maine and I do not stillhunt much at all.I do shoot a lot of deer at longer ranges over fields myself although we do not use treestands.I do however make sure that I practise a great deal with my rifle before attempting any long range shots at game..
Old 01-14-2005, 04:08 PM

Sorry, for some reason I thought he was refering to me as stubs. I know you live a bit North of me and not here in the warm South, (Maine) But all the same try the 50BMG or H 5010.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:09 AM
bigcountry

Did I say it was my only rifle? I shoot much more than most, just not the same gun over and over
Red, no, you say you have a two bolt lug A-Bolt and 60degree bolt throw vanguard. Both very rare guns in deed

Old 02-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

i dont think the .270 is a btter long range shooting rifle. i would stick with the .30 cal bullets. the .308 is a perfect round. who ever designed the .308 round is a genious. and i would stick with it if i were you. my first rifle that i purchased was a Remington 700 BDL .270. i had taken game with it and was pretty confident with it until things started snow balling for the worse. long range or short range there is a lot to say about shot placement. i hit a mule deer in the shoulder at 75 yards. the buck ran over the ridge never to be seen again until on the last day of the hunt a buddy of mine tagged him. my bullet hit the shoulder bone and deflected. the next year later i had a buck acros a wheat field about 400 yards. i fired twice and the buck stood there. my hunting buddy at the time had a .300 winmag and placed a perfect shot and dropped him. later that evening as we were skinning him, we found both my rounds that had just protruded the hide. i sold the .270 and bought my .300.