Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 blued vs. Stainless >

blued vs. Stainless

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

blued vs. Stainless

Old 01-05-2005, 03:19 PM

Default blued vs. Stainless

what advantage does stainless have over blued barrels? is there any other then look and rust factor?
Old 01-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: blued vs. Stainless

the rust factor and which one you think looks better. the blued is also a lot cheaper.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:05 PM

the rust factor and which one you think looks better. the blued is also a lot cheaper.
ya, haha, i kinda figured that..

but are there any real advantages other than that. otherwise why would anyone go for a munch more expensive gun even though it performs the same.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

like me responce?

there is no performance difference that i know of.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:28 PM
bigcountry

Weather resistence is a big thing. Where I hunt in a swamp in brackish water, a blued gun rust so easy over there. My poor 1187 has to be sprayed down from top to bottom as soon as pulling the boat out of the water with rem oil. When I muzzleload hunt, I don't have much problems with my stainless inline as people I know with the blued identical gun.

Or if you ever go in a tent hunt and get caught in days and day of rain.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:54 PM

I never bother with stainless unless it is the same price, which it isn't. At least in rifles, rust is not really much of an issue IMO. If you get a little spot, I usually just oil it and go on. I try to take proper care of my rifles but if I am out in the rain all day so be it. I am not afraid, lol!

I don't live by salt water. If I did, I would go with stainless. Or if I cared if my guns always looked really good or whatever.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

stainless is pimp-o-riffic![8D]
Old 01-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Contrary to popular belief stainless barrels will still rust. They do offer better protection from the elements than does a blued gun but you still have to clean it if it gets wet and such.

Also remember that just because the BBL, receiver, and bolt may be stainless the inner workings are NOT so if the gun gets wet enough to cause the outside of a blued gun to rust you will still need to take apart a stainless gun and clean the insides cause you can be sure that they will rust.

Aside from that, a stainless barrels bore does not wear as quickly as a chrome molly barrel. So for the guy that shoots hundreds upon hundreds of rounds a year a stainless bbl will last longer.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

The local gunsmith convinced me to go with stainless which offers better protection against rust. After hurricane Ivan there were many homes near that had been flooded by saltwater. There was a bunch of damaged rifles that had been saturated for several days in his shop, the stainless were salvageable but the blued rifles were done overtaked with rust. I like the stainless/synthetic because they are tuff.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:40 AM

I recently spoke to a local gunsmith and he suggested teflon coating in addition to the stainless barrel. Anyone heard of this or done it? Sounds like a good idea, though I have no cost reference yet.

Quick Reply: blued vs. Stainless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.