Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope for a 7mm rifle? >

Scope for a 7mm rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope for a 7mm rifle?

Old 01-04-2005, 07:31 PM

Default RE: Scope for a 7mm rifle?

Ok I use VX-I's on 2 of my rifles. Poor Light transmition? Not to me. It can be almost dark and its like its daytime through my VX-I. I love the scopes and have always been dead on.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Spike

Need I say more. look down
Old 01-04-2005, 07:40 PM

I use & recommend Leupold scopes because I've had good experience with them, and
zero problems. In the past I've also used Tasco, Bushnell, Redfield, and Weaver. I do
still have one Weaver, a 1-3x scope that was really handy on a Marlin 30-30, but I traded the rifle - kept the scope. Maybe get another 30-30 someday?
Prices for Leupolds are reasonable for the quality and service, which is excellent on both
counts. One of the things I like most is the generous eye relief with Leupold scopes.
Before you consider buying another brand, be sure to check out/compare factors such
as length, weight, optical quality, and eye relief - especially eye relief if mounting on any magnum rifle. Not saying some other scopes aren't good, Ziess being one of the best also, but for the money I'll take the Leupolds.
BTW, the current VX-I scopes are just the old Vari-X II types. The Vari-X II series was
upgraded, click adjustments, etc., and renamed the VX-II. I've got two of the older
Vari-X II scopes, a 1-4x 20mm, and a 2-7x 33mm, and both are over 20yr. old, and no
problems. My others are a compact 3-9x, and two Vari-X III (VXIII) 1-3/4 - 5x.
I like Leupold

Good source/pricing link (SWFA): http://www.riflescopes.com/store/default.asp
Old 01-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

O.K. let's do a comparison with no names....

SCOPE A
3x9-40
fully coated lenses (not multicoated)
"friction" windage/elevation adjustment
eye releif = 4.2-3.7 inches (not constant)
max field of view @ 100 yards = 32.9 feet
price = $199.95

SCOPE B
2.8x10-44
fully multicoated lenses
1/4 positive click moa adjustment
eye releif = 5 inches (constant)
max field of view @ 100 yards = 44 feet
price = $129.95

O.K. You tell me which scope is better... Of course it is SCOPE B, hands down, no matter what you look at... And wait, at almost half the price... You would be out of your mind to buy SCOPE A!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

Oh... Just in case you wanted to know....

Scope A = Leupold VX-I

Scope B = Simmons AETEC
Old 01-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am with Bigbulls on this one. I would purchase a Burris Fullfield II before I would go for a Leupold VX-I. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

No Leupold VX-I fanatics out there?
Old 01-05-2005, 08:03 PM

I have a Burris Fullfield II, highly recommend it. Yes, I compared it side by side to various Leupold's up to and including the VX-III, Simmons, Bushnell, Nikon, etc. The only scope that really looked "crisper" to me was the Zeiss but it was considerably more. Even Swarovski the almighty didn't impress me, sorry. My next scope will be a Zeiss, but not because I don't think my Burris isn't good, it's just because I admit I'm a bit of a "label queen" ;-)
Old 01-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take a look at the Elite 3200 or FFII as well which both cost about the same as the VX I. As mentioned optically they are superior (on paper and in the field) but they are functionally better as well with click adjustments and 1 piece tube construction. The VX I is friction and 3 piece last time I heard[&:]! I personally would rest more on a 1 piece tube holding up to a 3 piece if you are worried about recoil effecting the scope....apparently leupold does not agree but that is an entirely different debate[]!

I personally see nothing in the 2005 Leupold Scope offerings that I would consider buying, just to many others that have made up and gained ground on loopy. Yes, I have owned and still own Leupold scopes but for now the only money they will get from me is for there mounting systems.

Good but over priced for the return at this point!