Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tired of the 243 debate >

Tired of the 243 debate

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tired of the 243 debate

Old 12-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tired of the 243 debate

I have seen a lot of light fast bullets glance off ribs and turn any which direction. More with the 7 Mag than anything else. If you have never seen major damage done by 30 caliber bullets, then you need to get out more. No matter what caliber you use, bullet selsction and shot placement are by far the most important. A good hit with a good bullet from a 30-30 kills game just as fast as the Superknockerwhizbang magnum or varmit cartridge. Thats from 48 years of shooting deer with about every gun there was in those years. In all those years, nothing killed game any faster than the 6.5x55 swedish mauser. Thats a 140 grain bullet at about 2500 fps. Before somebody thinks that I am knocking the 7 Mag, I am not. I have had five of them. Its just that early on I had a few problems with Ballistic tips at high velocity and close range.
Its true that if someone has had bad expierences with a caliber, in this case the 243, then they won't change their mind unless they prove themseves wrong. Once I used the Nostler Partition in the 243 I found that that combo worked well. All other bullets I have tried have been inconsistant. Sometimes they worked fine on small deer and sometimes they didn't. Therefore I would use it with Nosler partitions and avoid it like a skunk with anything else. If I get tired of the 243 debates I will not click on them.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats what I'm saying James..I have seen a lot of weird things happen with bullets. I think the Gamekings are kinda notorious for stuff like this. Too many things have to be perfect to use a small caliber like that and the area I hunt...not gonna happen. However this is my last post on this subject since I have yet to see a common sense answer from any of my doubters...glad ya like em and good luck.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jorkep

Is anyone else tired of the .243 debate? It's on almost evey shooting or hunting forum I visit. Nobody ever changes their mind, they just argue the whole time filling up the boards with hearsay. I say we put a gag order on arguing whether it's is a viable deer cartridge or not for awhile.
You know what is ironic ? You just started another debate. LOL !
Old 12-24-2004, 03:10 PM

so if your so tired of it ; then why did you start it all over again?[:-][&:][&:][&:][&:][&:]
Old 12-24-2004, 11:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: frizzellr

Not near as tired as I am of people insisting on using their 22s on deer.
Amen Frizz!
The .243/6MM, with GOOD 100 gr. hunting bullets, is a GOOD MINIMUM deer caliber!
Notice, I said "good mimimum," meaning it offers a good percentage kill, with "DECENT" room for error in shot placement! While "ANY" of the .22's have "NO" room for ERROR, in shot placement! Making the .22's UNACCEPTABLE, as deer calibers!
Old 12-25-2004, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

the 22-250 is quite adequate for deer in anyones hands that can place a shot where they want it..
The 22-250 is a bad choice for whitetails in ANYBODIES hands. It was conceived and intented as a varmit round and thats what it is. Can it kill deer? Yep! Can you wound and lose a deer with it even with a well placed shot? You bet! If you haven't seen a light 50 to 55 grain bullet do some strange things apon impact from a high velocity cartridge like a 22-250 or a 220 swift then you haven't been around as much as you think. I may walk a straight line now and preach the ethical way but I haven't always been so high minded. I was a young idiot once and hung out with a slew of other young idiots. I've shot or seen deer shot with everything they sell over the counter in the state of Alabama. I have seen 22-250 bullets explode on ribs, deflect on shoulders and run along bone instead of blowing through it. To be fair however I have also seen it drop deer so fast they literally bounced.

But why take the risk? I have been a strong advocate for the 243. It's a good deer round with the right bullet (100 grain) but it is in my opinion the minimum for deer. I have never understood why people want to keep pushing the envelope on the low caliber side for deer. I am also mystified at people who want to use a 338 magnum for deer but at least that will definately kill them consistently. If the recoil of a 243 is too much for you then maybe deer hunting isn't for you.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen 22-250 bullets explode on ribs, deflect on shoulders and run along bone instead of blowing through it.
"cough.. cough... bull$hit "
Old 12-25-2004, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

cough.. cough... bull$hit "
Cough..Cough..Serious S##T!
Old 12-25-2004, 03:38 PM

C'mon now kiddies, is this any way to behave. It's Christmas!
BE NICE NOW!
Old 12-26-2004, 05:57 AM

ORIGINAL: johnch

Yes , just ban less than 25 cal .
So your saying that the 25-20 is ok for deer.

Quick Reply: Tired of the 243 debate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.