Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Can I adjust trigger myself? >

Can I adjust trigger myself?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Can I adjust trigger myself?

Old 12-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default Can I adjust trigger myself?

I just bought a Winchester 7mm Rem mag. and have been shooting at the range and reading alot about how to be more accurate. I think the trigger pull is too heavy. Can I adjust this myself or should I leave it to a gunsmith?
Old 12-23-2004, 12:38 PM

Default RE: Can I adjust trigger myself?

You should take it to a smith. They can also smooth it out if it needs it.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:18 PM

Ditto what lrifle said. Not trying to knock anyone's mechanical ability, but it is highly recommended not to tinker with a trigger unless you are really knowlegeable about what you are doing. In a nutshell, the primary reason that heavy triggers come standard on rifles is the result of folks who did DYI trigger jobs and then turned around and sued the rifle manufacturer. A search on any hunting/shooting forum will likely mention the consequences that happened with an improperly adjusted trigger.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

That depends on you but yes many do and it can be done DIY. Equally many don't, won't and will take it to a gunsmith. If at all uncomfortable with this type of stuff take it to a smith.

FYI, link on how it is done.

Adjusting Win Trigger
Old 12-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

What sketter said...
Old 12-23-2004, 07:36 PM

A stiff, heavy trigger pull could very possibly have an adverse effect on your shooting.

I wouldn't touch the trigger on a Ruger M77 MkII or on my Remington 700s, but I had no difficulty whatsoever adjusting the trigger on my Model 70. I think the Model 70 trigger is the best factory trigger out there. Mine came at an awful 7+ pounds from the factory, but I adjusted it myself to about 3.5 pounds. If you follow the instructions that Skeeter's link gives, you should not have trouble.

I would recommend using a trigger pull guage. You can get one of these for less than the price of a trigger job.

Again, if you are not mechanically inclined, or are the least bit uncertain, let the gunsmith do it for you. If you are comfortable taking your fishing reel apart to clean it, you should not have any trouble with a Winchester trigger.

Good luck!
Old 12-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion if you aren't sure or don't know what you're doing take it to a competent Smith.Triggers aren't anything to mess with if you don't know what you're doing.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-23-2004, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with longrifle. Your asking for trouble if you are not fimiliar with the process. If adjusted improperly the rifle can fire just by closing the bolt to firmly or it could fire when the safety is released. This could happen if the trigger is not sitting on the sear properly.[]
Old 12-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

I took my Model 70 7mm to the local gunsmith. He did it in about 5 minutes. Charged me about 10 bucks. It wasn't even worth me trying to monkey around with it and possibly screw something up.
If your gun is anything like mine, the trigger is way to stiff. It's about half as heavy now and much nicer to shoot.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:01 PM
BS

If you have to ask, then I would say no!

You need to do what you feel safe with. Once you understand how a trigger works, adjusments are quick and simple.

I have a couple of tests that I put them thru, for a quick check!

Never load them in the house!

Always run a couple of test shots to double check.

Only do my own, and my brothers.

BS

Quick Reply: Can I adjust trigger myself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.