Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer? >

Which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer?

Old 12-24-2004, 01:30 PM

Default RE: Which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer?

There are two factors here that would decide this. 1) the caliber used most will wound the most deer, period. 2) a caliber that is frequently given to first time hunters, not the calibers performance on animals per/se but poor shots of inexperienced hunters. The 22 calibers probably dont rack up huge numbers of wounded animals, because not many people use them. as a percent killed/wounded it would be a different story the 22's would be high on that list where the old 308 would likely drop dramatically as it kills HUGE numbers of deer compared to the wounded ones.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:29 PM

Now deer are rather large targets and we have all missed. However a missed deer could have just as well been wounded and lost so it seems that those people who miss often should not be taking those shots. It is not a matter of thinking that maby you can hit the deer. If you have any doubts do not shoot! Any caliber can wound it is the shooter who has to put the bullet where it belongs. When I hear of people missing a bunch of deer before they get one I can not help but think that either they do not care about the animal they hunt and that they are very poor shots. It is too bad in a way that deer hunting is not like African hunting. In Africa if you draw blood you pay the trophy fee weather the animal is recovered or not. If deer hunting was like that there would be fewer slobe throwing lead around the woods. If you want to hunt learn to shoot and practice. If you have any doubts about putting the animal down with one shot then do not shoot, it is that simple.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Judson. Good point!! Have not heard from you in a while.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree completely Judson. Good post!
Old 12-25-2004, 07:46 PM

Its not the caliber that wounds the deer its the shooter.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: JONES 1969

Its not the caliber that wounds the deer its the shooter.
hmm....well i may disagree on this one, have hunted with many calibers, and I can say that the only deer I ever lost with a rifle was a buck at 70 yrds at dusk. Shot with a 7 remmag, with partitions, broadside about 3" behind the shoulder my bullet didnot open up, it penciled him. I found him the next day after searching all night, 200 yrds from where I shot him, swelled up and uneatable. Couldnt have asked for better shot placement, just wrong bullet or should I say, wrong bullet placement for a partiton. From now on its ballistic tips for me, unless I hunt bigger than 150lb whitetails.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:44 AM

ORIGINAL: speyrjb

If you had to guess, which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer per year? I wonder if anyone could find some documentation on this?
The poor caliber of hunter that gets his gun out opening morning (after he put it away last year) &
never checks to see if it is on the bull or even hitting on the paper.
Or the one that shoots at deer running full out & hopes he can hit it.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:49 AM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

The 30-06 has accounted for more game animals successfully harvested than any other cartridge.

So it would stand to reason that it would be responsible for wounding more than any other cartridge also.
The 30-30 stands Right along side the 30-06 for the same reasons!
Old 12-26-2004, 06:32 PM

Ballistic tips are fine if you do not want an exit hole, are willing to pass up shots that require any degree of penitration and do not require you paying for a lost animal. True they are VERY accurate but for the hunter who does not want to pass up shots that the partitioned or a Swift A Frame will allow, they are fine. My self, when I have that hard quartering shot I want to be able to take it and know I can drive the bullet into the lungs and out, so I will take the Swift A Frame or Nosler Partitioned any day.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

hmm i would say a 357 .. The 243 drops them in their tracks and i know from first hand experince ..

Quick Reply: Which caliber is responsible for the most wounded deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.