Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifle newbie that needs some help..... >

Rifle newbie that needs some help.....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle newbie that needs some help.....

Old 12-20-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Rifle newbie that needs some help.....

I'm not exactly new to shooting rifles, but I am on all the ins and outs of them. I'm looking at getting a varmint rifle. But one that I could do other things with it other than just varmints. Like whitetails. This is a gun that I would only pull off the shelf a few times a year and I can't see spending a great amount of $$ on it. I'm looking at getting a .243 caliber. That should cover a few different animals without a whole lot of problems. Now to my question.....

Is a Savage "Hunter Series" rifle a descent one?? The research that I've done has about 6 different models chambered in a .243. Anyone have any experience with Savage rifles?? Good or Bad? The reason I'd like to go with one, right now, is almost purely based on price.

Thanks for the info!

Stump
Old 12-20-2004, 10:36 AM

Default RE: Rifle newbie that needs some help.....

I should also say....

That if anyone has any suggestions on good, but yet on the cheaper side of rifles....I'm willing to listen for sure. I'm trying to stick to $450 to maybe $500 and under. Hopefully much under.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:11 AM

i had the same problem but i got a howa .308 for $328 $150 in a scope $ in a bypod. and i love it. i use fmj surplus ammo for coyote and 150grn bt for deer. the 243 is a great round but so is the .308 and i can get serplus ammo for $0.10 a round. so that is what i went with. and i am very happy with it.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

where can u get surplus ammo for 0.10. i would really like to know.

and to answer you question savage i sa very durable and accurate right out of teh box rifle. i would buy a package series rifle.it's a good deal.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:21 PM

pick up a copy of shotgun news at walmart or a store with gun mag's or go to a military serplus store. just look around i have never paid more than $0.15 a round for serplus ammo
Old 12-20-2004, 02:14 PM

here's a link to some I just found as low as .08rd.
http://www.southernammo.com/prod02.htm
Old 12-20-2004, 02:20 PM

I have a Savage in 22-250, excellent shooter as Savages usually are right out of the box. For the money Savage is most likely your best bet, Howa hasn't proven themselves like Savage has in my opinion.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:22 PM

I have a hunter series in .270 Win and it is a great rifle for the price. With the accutrigger it is a real shooter. Not the best looking thing but if your not planning on entering it in a beuty contest it will serve you well. Excellent quality for the price!
Old 12-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stump, A good all around caliber is the 308 Winchester. Remington is my favorite. Just about every manufacturer has this caliber available in many styles and price ranges. With the correct bullet for the application, this one caliber will fit most hunting situations
Old 12-20-2004, 03:02 PM

Not just the 308 but any 30 caliber gun will serve you well, They make bullets from 110 grain to 220 for sure(maybe more). That makes them usable for most game from coyotes to elk/moose. So if you are goin for just one allaround gun i'd personally go with almost anything 30cal. But that is just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Rifle newbie that needs some help.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.