Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hate to ask a dumb question but how loud is a .223 ??? >

Hate to ask a dumb question but how loud is a .223 ???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hate to ask a dumb question but how loud is a .223 ???

Old 12-15-2004, 02:55 PM

Default Hate to ask a dumb question but how loud is a .223 ???

Thinking about getting a NEF .223 and I imagine it's louder than a .22 mag or .17 cal................but is it as loud as something like a .243 ,.270 ETC. ???

I will probably get a .17 to plink around with if a .223 is "real" loud !

Thanks for any help !
Old 12-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hate to ask a dumb question but how loud is a .223 ???

Some friiends of mine have them, not much muzzle blast at all, little more than 22 about like a 243. I know what you mean, I got rid of an 06 once because of muzzle blast..
Old 12-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

.243 is a LOT louder than a .22. Dont know about the 223 , I doo believe it pretty loud but not like the .243. However I'm looking for something in the NEF as well, I think I am gonna go with a 22 hornet. maybe even in a T/C
Old 12-15-2004, 03:30 PM

I've a .22 mag pistol and I've been around .223s...if my memory serves right they were about the same (I dare say the pistol was louder)

Here's the thing: Worse case scenario you'll have to take the 15 seconds to put those foam earplugs in.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:27 PM

.22 mag pistols are prettty impressive to shoot. Loud and lots of muzzle flash. At least my .22 auto mag with a six inch barrel was. I bought one of these years ago and a buddy of mine bought a .44 mag revolver at the same time. We went out and shot his .44 first. It was impressive and didn't recoil nearly as bad as I thought it would. We went to shoot my my .22 mag as it was starting to get dusk out. I fired the first round and we looked at each other and both said "Holy ----- (fill in the blank)! This thing was loud and blew flames like 3 inches out of the barrel. If you didn't know what it was it would be very intimidating. Wish I would have kept it since you can't get them any more.

I have never noticed much of a difference in centerfire rifles to be honest. .223, .243, 7.62x39, or 30-06, they were all pretty loud, and it depended more on the gun then the round used. Shorter barrels tend to be louder, and if you have a muzzle break forget it, they are like twice as loud! My shotgun is ported and if I shoot more than twice without good hearing protection my ears are ringing for the rest of the day.

I own a 17hmr and have shot .223's before (AR's and M16's, never a bolt action) and I would say the .223 is considerably louder than the .17 hmr rifle. All pistols are loud though in my opinion because of the short barrels.

Depending on what gun shop you go to they may let you fire one of each or do it for you so you can hear the difference.

Paul
Old 12-15-2004, 06:00 PM

After thinking about it for while, there is a difference in some of the calibers I think. I have owned an SKS and a AK47, both 7.62X39's. Plus a 30-06 and an 8mm mauser. Both the larger guns where louder if I remember corectly. I remember shooting the AK for the first time and commenting that I though it would be louder. The action makes more noise than anything, still it gives off a pretty good report. And If I remember correctly the .223 wasn't quite the same as the AK or SKS. I don't know if there is a decibal difference or not, but you can for sure tell the diffence between an AK and a AR/M-16 when they are fired. As far as bolt actions go, I couldn't tell you.

I know my inline muzzle loader is louder, you can feel it when one is fired.

I think any of the centerfires would be fairly louder than a 17hmr. It sounds about like a .22 mag rifle. More of a loud POP than a BANG really. Of course I may be half deaf as well.

Paul
Old 12-15-2004, 07:07 PM

igot a mini 14 it is loud but it is a good gun and i think it would be better then a 17 hmr because you can hunt deer with a mini 14 and mine is a semi automatic and it is not that loud but you get used to any guns sound after awile
good luck
Old 12-15-2004, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

THe .223 is much louder than a .22, but a little quieter than a .243. If your considering a NEF, get the Ultra Varmiter. I bought one a couple of years ago and I love this gun. I topped it off with a Simmons 6-24 x 50mm scope and it is a tackdriver. At 100 yards I typically get 5 shot groups that can be covered with a dime, and I'm not tha great of a shooter. It's a good looking gun and shoots great, expecially for the money. I have a little over $300 in the gun & scope.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:29 AM

Thanks guys !

Mike.........it's been a while .........thanks for the info. I'll look at that one ! I'm thinking about getting this gun to goof around with and keep in the truck to shoot varmits at our club........for a few years........and then give it to my son when he's old enough to go hunting !

Oh yeh.........did you order your's with the lighter pound trigger (I think it's a 3.5 pound maybe) ??
Old 12-16-2004, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not sure what you mean by loud. Can you shoot it without hearing protection? No! I tried this once with my bushmaster AR15 in 223. I had my ears ringing for 2 days. It wasn't fun.

Tom

Quick Reply: Hate to ask a dumb question but how loud is a .223 ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.