Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What is a .243 good for? >

What is a .243 good for?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What is a .243 good for?

Old 12-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is a .243 good for?

With the right bullets the 243 is awesome on deer and antelope, and works good for woodchucks, fox, coyotes, and other miscellaneous varmits!!!
Old 12-13-2004, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bought my .243 in 1980...use it for deer, groundhogs, crows and coyotes...so I'm able to use it year round....Thats the beauty of a .243...Its great for both target shooting and hunting...I've killed over 125 deer with...Used 100gr Remington Core Lokts for about 15 years...since then have used every domestic factory loading in 100 grs...they all work for deer...last few years have been using Federal Premium 85gr BTHP...Very fast loading, and very accurate in the 4 .243s that I have tried in...Between 3 buddies and myself, we have killed 25 deer with this bullet...sighted in 2 1/2 inches high at 100, we are about 2 1/2 to 3 inches low at 300...great bullet for crows to deer...This bullet will give a good exit hole on broad side lung shots on deer, and go through both shoulder blades, and is usually found under skin on off side....

We own 3 farms here in NC....brothers and hunting buddies own 260s, 308s, 270s, 7mm-08, 280s, 30-06s, 270WSM and 300Mags....they wound up more deer than I ever have with any gun, including muzzleloaders....
We kill about 50 deer a year, because we raise corn, peanuts, wheat and soybeans...it takes that many killed a year to control the population or we have too much crop damage....So I get to skin and examine the wounds from many different calibers in a years time...We have owned these farms since the 1970s....So you can do the math as to how many deer I have seen killed by different calibers through the years...Many people sell the .243 short on deer...Or put limitations on it for deer...or don't want to accept the fact that they screwed up, or don't shoot their gun enough, because they are scared of the recoil, They think just because they use a big gun that any shot is a killing shot...etc etc....Very few of us have to kill a deer to survive anymore...if we did, we would hunt at night, or do anything we needed to survive....This isn't the 1800s....heck most areas were depleted of deer, during that time due to market hunting....think about the guns they had for deer, turkeys, ducks etc....and they drove populations down so low that we had to repopulate most areas with deer and wild turkeys.....We are hunting for recreation....Buy a gun that is a pleasure to shoot...and learn to shoot it well....My .243 is the only centerfire rifle I own....I don't need another...It gets the job done...

You will see more difference on different type bullets in a given caliber than you between calibers...The makeup of the bullet makes a huge difference in the size and depth of the wound channel...I have seen deer shot with a .270 in the lungs that went 100 yards, before we found them...I have also seen deer shot with my .243 in the lungs that either dropped, or went less than 50 yards....Thats just the way it is....two different deer will react differently...hit in the same place, with different calibers....Much of the arguing over different calibers is a waste of time...Its more about the bullet makeup, range the deer was shot, bullet placement and certain deer just run farther....I guess they can hold their breath longer while they are running....

I drop more deer in their tracks with my .243 than either of my brothers, and they use a .280 and a .270....I just shoot better than either of them...
As a matter of fact, I'm the one that sights in their rifles for them...And both of them have killed a few hundred deer...They just don't shoot as well in the field as I do....

A .243 is more "user friendly" than larger deer calibers...and that will make you a better game shot....Since you have less recoil...you never loose sight of the game in the scope...You will also be more likely to shoot more often and that will make you a better shot...We all know guys that shoot their deer rifles 4-5 times a year....They will always be mediocure shots...I have also killed deer shooting left handed (I'm right handed)...and don't have to worry about the scope getting into my face...Its much easier for me to flip the gun over to my left shoulder to make those shots than to stand up and turn around and hope the deer doesn't see you do this...

Any caliber from a .243 to 300 Mag will take deer cleanly...Its just up to the hunter to execute the shot when the time comes...I've never lost a deer to my .243, and never had one go more than 100 yards at the shot... I would guess that 75-80% dropped at the shot...of those that ran after the shot very few went more than 50 yards...For me the .243 is not marginal...Its perfect...Good Luck
Old 12-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

I'm from maine and people up here love the .243 winchester. it is the most popular varmit cartridge. it has plenty of power to take a deer or a bear(with the right bullet and decent range). i have herd of people using a 100 grain bullet and actually taking down a moose.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm one of the guys that keeps on posting here that a .243 Win. (all 6mm's) is really too small for deer sized game.. Even though among other things, i've taken quite a few deer with one, and a very large blk. bear that weighed just over 500 pounds.

The reason i keep on posting "get something a bit bigger" is NOT because a .243 won't kill a deer!! With 100 grain Nosler partitions, it's a pretty good deer round "IF" you keep your shots to near broad side!! .243's have the energy to kill deer, it's just hard to get a 6mm bullet that will expand and penetrate "properly" on less than perfect shots!!

Why would anyone want to shoot a deer thats not broad side unless you were gonna neck or head shoot it. Thats a poor shot no matter what caliber your using. It's crazy to claim the bullet wont expand properly, or even the penetration. I have never had any problem with either using any bullet or any brand, it's got plenty of power. Speed is what expands a bullet and the .243 has more speed at longer ranges than most .30 calibers. wish I could find a bullet from one of the deer I have shot, problem is, it always goes right through destroying everything in it's path. I have never had an animal run farther than 50 yds, not even big hogs. I had a .270 at one time, didnt like it. I borrowed a 7 mag for one season , didnt impress me, they still ran, sometimes farther. My bud shoots a 300 mag , hasnt impressed me, he's had several that didnt even pass through. I havent had that problem with the .243 it always passed through and nothing has gotten away or even stood back up. To claim the .243 is marginal is ludicrous. A 22 hornet is marginal. Not a .243 . jeez, it's a cased necked .308. how much more do you want. The noslers arent my first choice either, I like the hornady's or the federal 100 gr and the 85 gr. Plenty of umph out to 500 yds if your that good. Shoot it's not even marginal for elk. a 223 would be marginal for elk. You your self shot a 500 lb bear but you say its marginal for deer. (shakes his head and walks away.)
Old 12-13-2004, 02:28 PM

I too love the .243 Win.

When it comes to ballistic Tip bullets there are 2 differing kinds....Hunting and Varmint.The Varmint styles range from 55gr to 70gr and has a thinner jacket than the Hunting BT 90gr and 95gr.I personally use the 70grVarmint style and it has proven itself in wind when others with 223 and 22-250 have mildly struggled keeping a nice group at the range and field.Have killed nearly everything with it cleanly but I shoot it all year and will say practice shooting is a key element to know rifle and MY limitations.Have made several 250 yd shots pretty easily in light wind.

When it comes to ballistic tip bullet failure I scoff.A farm manager asked me to dispatch a large farm animal that was crippled.Even with the Varmint style 70gr bullet in the head it was instantly over.

I have never killed a deer with it as we don`t have a rifle season in my state.But if I were to hunt deer with it I would feel quite comfortable taking it out with the 95gr BT with no hesitation....at all.It is a Ruger#1 Light Sporter....one shot is all I get so shot placement is everything.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:27 PM
DM

You your self shot a 500 lb bear but you say its marginal for deer. (shakes his head and walks away.)
Yes, i broke the neck on a big bear at 30 yards with my .243, that doesn't make it an bear round!!!

A man named Bell killed over 700 elephants with a 7x57 mauser, that doesn't make it an elephant round either!!

Maybe you should go back and read my last post untill you get the point i was makeing???? What i said was, a .243 is a good deer rifle, in "experenced hands", and on "side shots"!!!

Why would anyone want to shoot a deer thats not broad side unless you were gonna neck or head shoot it
It happens all the time!!! Sometimes by guys that just "can't wait" for a better shot, (as i also said in my last post) and also by guys like me who know "how to take the shot PROPERLY". Useing NP's i've made that shot numerous times, putting one up the poop shoot and into the chest!!! IF, it goes a little low, you get the same results, and NO it doesn't have to go through the guts!!!! IF, it goes a bit high, the bullet breaks the back, or goes into the neck or head!! Useing enough gun and the right bullets makes this a very good shot when needed, by those that CAN MAKE IT!!! Among other rounds, it can be done with a 280 Rem, 30-06, 7x57 mauser, and many others. You don't need a magnum, what you need are proper bullets!!

BTW, speed really "isn't" what expands a bullet, it's what the bullet hits that expands the bullet, and how the bullet is constructed, determines how well it transmits energy and gives penetration!!! Personally, i want BOTH so i shoot Nosler Partitions!!

Drilling Man
Old 12-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ammunition makers seem to think velocity has everything to do with expansion. look at the pic.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My son took a doe a couple of weekends ago with my .243 it was a straight on shot with her head down feeding, 120 yds, he put it right at the base of the neck , it went all the way through, including the spine and out the pooper area. not good ! as it was a neck a gut and an @$$ shot all in one. I dont think the .243 would have a problem coming from the other way but i would pass that shot up no matter what caliber I was using. thats just disgusting when it comes time to clean it.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Redsox a guy I graduated from HS with now lives in Jackman , ME, a few 4 or 5 years ago he got a moose, he was visiting my brother and talking about this 850 lb. moose andI asked what did you get it with, he got up, walked out to his suitcase and brought an empty 6mm casing and showed me, 1 shot 100 gr. 6mm. I have a 6mm myself and use it mostly for varmit, but I have taken it deer hunting a few times.. It is big enough for deer, groundhogs, foxes, even a bear...
Old 12-13-2004, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

RonM thats cool. i'm thinking about getting a .243 for mostly deer and Bear. but if i get it and i find the right bullet mebey i'll take it moose hunting.

I got a question. if you can take a moose with a .243 could an elk be taken with a .243. i'm from maine so there no elk until u get to pennsylvania. i'm just wondering.

Quick Reply: What is a .243 good for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.