Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 700 CDL help >

Remington 700 CDL help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 CDL help

Old 12-10-2004, 06:42 PM

Default Remington 700 CDL help

Hi,

I have a new Remington 700 CDL, 30-06 just tried to sight it in and it groups 3x the size of the groups my Remington 760 in 30-06 gets. The trigger pull is off the scale I estimate around 7 to 10 pounds. Any thoughts about adjusting the trigger pull. The reviews say it is adjustable but the factory says not to adjust it.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:02 PM

Default RE: Remington 700 CDL help

The factory will always tell you not to adjust it out of liability concerns. If you aren't sure about adjusting it yourself a smith won't charge much for it. I have bought two new Remington 700s this year. The BDL .30-06 has a a rather heavy pull but it is crisp. The 700 Classic 8x57 seems a bit lighter and is also quite crisp. I have decided to leave them both alone, as I have gotten used to the pull and they both shoot quite well.

If you want to try adjusting the trigger yourself, here's some links, just be real careful when doing it so that you don't mess up the sear engagement and risk accidental discharge.

http://quarterbore.com/library/artic...00trigger.html

http://www.snipersparadise.com/artic...00_trigger.htm

Are you sure that the trigger pull is the only thing in play here? Have you checked the usual stuff - - scope, mounts, screws all tight, tried different ammo, etc?

Hope you get it sorted out. Nothing drives me crazier than than a temperamental rifle. I just got rid of a Ruger M77 MkII .30-06 that I couldn't shoot in front of witnesses. Spent three years polishing that turd before giving up on it. Not bashing Ruger, every maker turns out a lemon once in awhile. You might also consider asking Remington to take a look at it before doing anything too radical.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:47 PM

Thanks for your help on this. I will do it my self as I can not see paying to ship it to a Remington authorized gunsmith and being with out it for a month. This does not sound beyond what we normally do to airguns and I have done several other rifles. I was looking for sites like this before I posted the request but my search came up negative. Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:00 PM

As JMFA stated the Quarter bore link is a good one. I used it on my 700 ADL and the trigger is much better. Pay careful attention to the Sear adjustment. It took me a little while to get it just right.

It is much better now though.