Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New guy says hello >

New guy says hello

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New guy says hello

Old 12-10-2004, 02:49 PM

Default New guy says hello

Greetings everyone. I’m new here at HuntingNet.com and I just wanted to say hello and thanks for the info I’ve gathered while being a “lurker” here. I’m not an extremely experienced hunter, although I enjoy getting out when I can in the fall season. I did get myself a brand new hunting rifle setup this year, at least partially as a result of info given here. I bought a new Ruger M77 Mark II All-Weather rifle in .30-06 and topped it with a silver Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 scope. I know many people here are partial to Leupolds (and for good reason) but since I’ve always had good luck with Nikon cameras, I thought I’d give Nikon a try for a scope. So far, I love this rifle/scope combo. I went through 100 rounds (not all at once) practicing to get used to this rifle and it’s great. I practiced mainly with cheepo Remington Core-Lokt 165gr PSP but finally sighted in for the “big event” with Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip 168gr. That bullet maintains velocity/energy levels at a much longer range due to the design, sufficient for any whitetail or black bear I’m likely encounter in upstate NY. Both loads shot an honest 1-1.5 MOA at 100 yards from the bench too, so accuracy is good. The Nikon scope seems decent too, time will tell how well it holds up. I’m not worried though, Nikon scopes have lifetime warranties.

My other (and equally loved) hunting rifle is an open sighted Marlin 336C in .35 Rem.

Wow, that was kind of a long-winded intro… sorry, but again, thanks and I look forward to participating more in these discussions.

Old 12-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New guy says hello

Welcome aboard .
Old 12-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

welcome hunter74, come on in and have some fun
Old 12-10-2004, 06:22 PM

Welcome to the forum, HUNTER74! Sounds like you're happy with your new rifle. I too have found Remington .30-06 165 grain factory loads accurate in my 700 BDL, so I started buying the bulk Remington 165 grain bullets for handloading. They are great on paper, and in a couple of weeks I am going to see how they perform on wild boar.

There are quite a few knowledgeable folks on this forum, and I too find it a great place to learn things.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the site. Lots of good folks here. Will look forward to your input.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:26 PM

So where in NY. My wife is from the Albany area. I haven't hunted there yet. It would be very different from South Dakota. Good luck with the '06. Sounds like you've got a keeper.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:31 PM

yes, welcome!, im from right outside of albany, and i go to school up at plattsburgh.....i take it you are from the northcountry where you can rifle hunt, here its shotgun/muzzle loader/ bow-for deer. sounds like you have a real nice setup, let us know how it works. BTW my father swears by nikon cameras
Old 12-12-2004, 12:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome!!
Old 12-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome and good luck with the new rifle!!!!
Old 12-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

I have never owned a Buckmaster but the Monarch 4-12X40 I had was awsome. I sold it with my Browning A-Bolt. Leupold owners are generally very loyal, I have owned several... VX-I 3-9X40, Vari X-II 4-12X40AO, Vari-X III Tactical 4.5-14X50 LR 30mm. The Vari-X III Tactical is amazing, the other two were ok. I personally think Leupolds are over priced by about $100. You pay for the name....err the "gold ring", it's an ego thing. I need a new scope myself for a 700 Mountain LSS I just ordered. I concidering a Nikon Monarch or Vari-XIII, but once you actually use a Bushnell Elite w/ RainGuard it's kinda hard to live with out it.

Good luck w/ your new Ruger, I bought that same gun 2 seasons ago. My friend borrowed it and refuses to return it, I guess he likes it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.