Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New hunter need help with first shotgun >

New hunter need help with first shotgun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New hunter need help with first shotgun

Old 12-01-2004, 03:41 PM

Default New hunter need help with first shotgun

I hope at the end of the month to buy my first shotgun for Duck, Deer, and Goose hunting. When I was at Gander Mountin they recomended to me to get the Benelli Nova 12ga 3 1/2 Black Syn. It had a cost of $300. They said it would fit what I wanted to do well and it was cheap enough for a beginner but good quality for hunting. I have them and a huge Bass Proshop with in about 20min of each other. With being new to hunting I just do not know guns that well. To be honest this will be my very first gun that I will ever own.

I live in IL and all I can use it shotgun. I am just wondering what would be some good shotguns for me to look at? I know there are ones with that I can change the barrel on but they are saying that is not needed because I can get slugs that are made for a smooth barrel.

Thanks for and sugestions. I would like to stay under $400 if I can. Since hunting season will almost be over by the time I get my gun I can wait a little longer if I need to save up some cash.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New hunter need help with first shotgun

Yes and No.

Yes, the Nova is a good solid gun, even if it is all plastic. For what you'd need, the 3.5" would work very well, even if it is my opinion that the 3.5" 12ga isn't really needed for ANYTHING...but with the Nova you can use anything from 2.75" clear up to 3.5", so it's not a problem.

No, I don't know that I'd recommend this gun as a beginners gun unless you realize that you're likely going to want to use 2.75" and 3" rounds in it until you get used to the gun. The nova is light. I used one in the past for upland game, it was a joy to carry and a pain to shoot...Mine was a camo version in 3.5", right after the 3.5" came out, so I HAD to try it...it was a hell of a lot of recoil for no more birds than I get with my 2.75" 12ga's, or my .410's. For deer and turkey, the extra power would be nice, even if you don't really NEED it. There's nothing WRONG with hunting with a 3.5" 12ga, it's just that I'm not sure you're really getting all the bang that your buck is paying for, or your shoulder. It's not terrible recoil, it's just unnecessary recoil.

You can of course circumvent this recoil problem by putting on a recoil pad

My overall recommendation would be to buy it, but only use 3" shells until you get the hang of it (I'd personally only EVER use 3" shells anyway).
Old 12-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Nomercy

My overall recommendation would be to buy it, but only use 3" shells until you get the hang of it (I'd personally only EVER use 3" shells anyway).
exactly, I own a Remington 870 super mag that shoots 3 1/2" but I have never fired one out of it.

as for choosing the Nova, not a bad choice, I would however recommend going and shouldering the Mossberg 500 and the Rem 870 along with the Binelli, and see which one fits you the best. All 3 are good guns, if you think you are going to shoot alot of slugs, a rifled barrel probably would be a little more advantageous to you. I know Mossberg and Remington both offer a combo or a 26" shotgun barrel and a rifled slug barrel, that in the long run will save you money (in case you decide to get a slug barrel later) I would at least look at all of these options and go with what fits your shoulder and wallet the best.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:41 PM

I have a Nova and love it. I use it for all my hunting and shooting. A great gun for the money. The last shoot gun you will ever have to buy, or course that doesn't mean the last one you will want to buy. I also don't find that it has much more noticalbe recoil compared to an 870 or Moss. 500. Now I would re-enforce that you should shoulder diffrent guns and get the one that feels best for you.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:55 PM

Get a Remington 870 pump. Finest shotgun ever made!
Old 12-01-2004, 06:02 PM

Thanks. It was just as Gander Mountian was moving so they did not have a huge selection for me to try.

Just wondering should I get the Camo model or is black good enough for the type of hunting I am doing? I agree with the 3 1/2 inch even the guy told me that would be a little over kill but good for just incase I find out I need it.

I do have long arms. My arms are about 36" long so I will have to see what ones fells more natural since it is a pump action.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:00 PM

I would go with the camo, whish I would have gotten the camo instead of the black. not that I don't like the black it is just that it would be nice to have. the camo would be useful for duck and goose hunting.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:12 PM

I agree with Virgina7. 870 is the best shotgun ever made!
Old 12-01-2004, 07:45 PM

i think 3.5" is overkill. i shot my buddies .300RUM and that was the first centerfire rifle i shot besides my 30-30. i recoil was a lot but not bad so i figured, heck, i'll take a shot with his 3.5" 870 turkey gun. i figured compared to the .300 rum that it would be less, so i was cocky...just drew up and pulled the trigger. that thing rocked me hard.
my first turkey i shot with a 20ga dove load and dropped it at about 20 yards. 12ga 3" would is plenty of gun, especially if it is your first.
i would get the 870, with a field barrel (26") and slug barrel either remington or hastings, 24" rifled. even though they make slugs for smoothbore barrels, you still dont have sights. they will extend your range, and put the shots where they need to be better than just a front bead. also you can get lots of aftermarket parts for the 870 and it is made of real wood.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:58 PM

Thanks for you help. Just wondering when I go the to Reminton website and look under the 870 I see a lot of selection for that model of shotgun. I am thinking you are talking about the Model 870™ Express® Combo model. Am I looking at the right model?

I guess my last question is were is the best place to buy a shotgun? I have never realy priced these out and this is something that I would not think of doing a ebay thing with.

thanks again for all your help. I do have to say the Reminton does look nice.

Quick Reply: New hunter need help with first shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.