Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I have a new love !!!!!! >

I have a new love !!!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I have a new love !!!!!!

Old 11-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I have a new love !!!!!!

Man I have got to tell ya,I shot the sweetest gun.
It was a .338 Ultra Mag LSS w/ a Zeiss 3-9 x 40 scope with a Sim's recoil pad.What a ***** cat I can't belive it.
This gun is on my to get right now list,man it smacked the poop outa some deer,can't wait to see it on some elk.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:28 PM

Default RE: I have a new love !!!!!!

".. .. .. .. man it smacked the poop outa some deer.. .. .. .."
Agrrrrr! Though deer are generally pretty darn easy to kill, there is "gettin' them down " and then there is "slapping them down". On ocassion I would use my 338WinMag for the annual deer hunt. It was fun to see the way it floored them and I do mean "right now" with a non-CNS shot (it was almost comical and the results were generally the source of much amusement within our group). So I know what you mean when you say "smacked the poop out of them" ---- I can only imagine that a 338RUM would do it even better. BTW, I'm sure it will be quite satisfactory on elk as well!

I'm sure you are aware that we're "bad boys" for actually enjoying being so supposedly "overgunned". IMHO, in the realm of hikeable/huntable rifles (15 pounds or less "finished weight") there is really no such thing as being "overgunned" as long as you can handle it and you can carry it (neither of which is particularly hard [barring injuries]); however, there is definitely such a thing as being "undergunned" for a given ocassion.

No doubt much talk to follow that focuses soley on 100% pure "shot placement" [a misnomer] while conveniently ignoring "minor" factors like TKO, repeatablity, angle selection/limitations and a myriad of other issues that are very much "at play" in the elk woods but are practically irrelevant when bench shooting at the range. [:@]

Always nice to find a new "hammer" that floats your boat. Enjoy,

EKM
Old 11-30-2004, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Bad Boys, every single one of you Big Bore shooters!!!

The only storyline more enjoyable than hearing about a favorite new big bore is the great debate on proper shot placement on a deer with a .223...

Congrats on your .338RUM BBJ, go put your baby on layaway and don't let that love fade.

CE
Old 11-30-2004, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

If you can handle the recoil and shoot it well there is no reason not to use the 338 RUM. It's likely that you are out of the norm. This is good since obviously you can handle the rifle. I think people's pet peeve is some novice bringing a 300 RUM to deer camp that can't take a deer with a 270. These types think the big boom will frighten the deer to death instead of shot placement. Kudos if you can handle the RUM and my hat is off to you.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-30-2004, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would also love to have the Remington LSS 338-RUM. My wife shoots a Remington LSS 300-win mag. Her rifle is accurate & feels good in my hands. I have been flirting with the idea of buying a LSS 338-RUM. I just need to let the wife "warm-up" to the idea of me buying a new gun.

BBJ Did you get that Ruger 25-06 yet? I sure love mine. I wish I would have bought one sooner.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-01-2004, 12:57 PM

I just bought a 300 RUM, not quite as big as the 338, but still a hammer to me. Although I had a brake and a aftermarket recoil pad put on it. One day I may get the 338.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:56 PM

I told my wife almost 20 years ago that guns are like golf, you can't play the game with one club!
HAHAHA!! thats good!!
Old 12-01-2004, 08:33 PM

good man! I'm thinking my next rifle is going to be a Ruger#1 w/ a chrestensen arms barrel in you guessed it, 338RUM.was thinking 8mm rem mag, but the bullet choice is better w/ 338's.

Quick Reply: I have a new love !!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.