Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Howa/Weatherby Vanguard Stainless or Tikka T3 Lite Stainless? >

Howa/Weatherby Vanguard Stainless or Tikka T3 Lite Stainless?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Howa/Weatherby Vanguard Stainless or Tikka T3 Lite Stainless?

Old 11-30-2004, 07:25 PM

Default RE: Howa/Weatherby Vanguard Stainless or Tikka T3 Lite Stainless?

Rifle Trajectory
The following abbreviations are used in the table below: Wb = Weight of bullet (in grains); MV = Muzzle Velocity (in feet per second); BC = Ballistic Coefficient; MRT = Mid-Range Trajectory; yards = yds.; inches = "; MPBR = Maximum Point Blank Range; BT = Ballistic Tip; FP = Flat Point, HP = Hollow Point; RN = Round Nose; Sp = Spitzer; SP = Spire Point; SSp = Semi-Spitzer.

Cartridge (Wb@MV)--------------Bullet BC--100 yds.--200 [email protected] (yds.)
.270 Win. (130 Sp at 3140)--------.416------+2.5"-----+2.4"------3"@150--------305
.270 Win. (150 Sp at 2900)--------.481------+2.6"-----+2.0"------3"@138--------287
7mm-08 Rem(140 BT at 2860)----.485------+2.6"-----+1.9"------3"@140--------285
7mm Rem. Mag(150 Sp at 3110)--.456------+2.5"-----+2.3"------3"@150--------305
Old 11-30-2004, 07:44 PM

By the way, anyone use the Remington Shoot! software? I'm toying with it now and it's pretty slick. All I need to find out is the Powder Charge of the different ammunitions I want to compare.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:52 PM

To download it:
http://www.remington.com/ammo/ballistics/remshoot.htm
Old 12-01-2004, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

speedgator, after reading the thread and seeing you are looking for a do it all caliber ( the holy grail) I'll throw another in. the old work horse .30-06. It will do everything the others will do but I think you'd find the ammo cheaper than the 7mm mag. It seems that the price of the ammo goes up when they put that little extension on it (Mag).

as for the rifle I own a Howa and am happy with it.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I was buying 1 rifle only it would be a stainless synthetic bolt action rifle with a 3x9 quality scope in 30-06.With 150 gr bullets it shoots plenty flat and with 180 gr it will drop moose sized game easily ( done it a few times).That will handle anything you are likely to ever hunt. Buy the rifle that fits you best and balances well in your hands. Make sure you are wearing the same hunting coat you normally wear when inthe field.
Look they are all good nowadays (except for the remington 710) and personal prefernce should play the biggest part. I have owned ruger, browning,remington,sako and have friends who own winchester and Tikka. They are all fine. If on a budget I would buy a Tikka T3 or Ruger. If spending more then a Sako has my vote ( my favourite rifle). Pick the one that snaps up nicely when you throw it to your shoulder, oh and buy a leupold VXII 3x9x40 for it.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the solution to your delemma.
Put the names of all guns acceptable to you in a hat (Ruger, T3,Vangard, whatever) Pull out one name.
Now put all acceptable calibers in a hat, and draw one out. As long as you have what you want in the hat, and the manufacturer makes guns in that caliber, you should be happy. You could say that Fate brought you and your new gun together.

If you were hoping for a different combination than what you drew, you knew what you wanted all along.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:36 PM

I've posted this before, but I just recently bought a Tikka T3 Lite/Stainless in the .30-06 with a Leupold VX-II 3x9x40 for an all-around rifle. It is one slick rifle, and shoots really well. Someone had mentioned it possibly being "too light", but I think that will only come in to play after a day at the range. When I'm in the woods, I love the fact that it wieghs just over 7lbs with a scope!
Old 12-01-2004, 04:50 PM

I left out the .30-06 because it seems that it doesn't shoot very "flat". It is a great caliber due to the availability, I understand that.
I've settled on the Weatherby due to the recall on Tikka right now, and most likely going with the 7mm Rem Mag. Unfortunately there seems to be no one with any stock at all and I've been told even the factory has no stock. [&:]
Old 12-01-2004, 10:09 PM

I have a Howa 1500 in 308 And i love it. great triger ( adjustable) , i can put 3 shots inside a quarter @ 125yds. i just bought mine on sale for only $328 on sale. and i am very happy with it.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:26 PM

If you don't mind my asking, where did you purchase it from? PM me if you'd like.

Quick Reply: Howa/Weatherby Vanguard Stainless or Tikka T3 Lite Stainless?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.