Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Old guns (here's a cool story).... >

Old guns (here's a cool story)....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old guns (here's a cool story)....

Old 11-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Old guns (here's a cool story)....

On Friday (day after Thanksgiving), I was hunting the nearby WMA here in Virginia (along with everyone else... [:-] ), and kept meeting up with other hunters on the trails. I met up with another guy from a group and he noticed my Marlin 30-30 that I was carrying. He had a real old Winchester 94 that he was carrying. One thing led to another and he asked more about mine (mine is a Marlin 30AS 30-30 from about 8 years ago, bought used off a buddy at work). He admired how clean and shiny and how pristine the condition of it is. He showed me his Winchester 94 and I couldn't believe my eyes... This ancient, old, Winchester was his fathers first gun and was bought new back in 1953!!! Well, you how things go from there, I let him check out my Marlin, and I held his old Winchester 94. Wow.... the speckles of rust, the scratches and dings all over the stock... The weathered appearance.... I could only imagine the stories that this old rifle could tell and the number of deer that it has taken!! [8D] It was an absolute classic. The guy said that he doesn't hunt with any other rifle but his father's old rifle, as he grew up with it and his father passed it down to him.

Anyone else have a timeless, classic, old rifle? This is really cool to see and handle, and amazing for a 51 year old gun!

Butch A.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Old guns (here's a cool story)....

I've got a first year production Winchester 92 in .38 WCF. Gun has English proofs, have no idea how it ended up in South Texas. Blueing is worn, but not bad for a 100 plus year old gun. The stock has an initial carved in it, a gothic "G", and a small mother of pearl heart inlet in the other side of the buttstock. I wish that gun could talk, I am sure it has seen some amazing things! I hunt with it from time to time...hate to see a rifle retired from use because of collectivity or value. Guns are made to shoot!
Old 11-29-2004, 03:17 PM

I was in the gun shop a few months ago, saw this old win 94 in the corner, it was a 32 win special, the blue was worn off the reciever, the stock is well worn or is that warm?? well i asked about it, the guys says "that old beater?" It has an old Lyman reciever site mounted on it. I said the same thing as i picked it up... it just felt good to hold it, the stories it could tell, who ever had it usedit but did not abuse it...150 dollars latter it came home with me, the sights were right on and it has been keeping me company in the thick stuff this year...Ohh yea...it did well on the 6 point buck that made the mistake of walking in front of it........Craig...one more story for it to tell.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:52 PM

I've got an old Winchester model 92 pump 22 with an octagon barrel that my grandpa gave me for my 12th birthday. It is now a family heirloom, though he only recieved it through a trade for a 9mm pistol about 20 years ago. I let the gun sit for awile in my room, and while I was out shooting one day I grabbed it and went out to shoot a few rounds through it. It's the most accurate open sighted gun I've ever shot. I love shooting that gun, cant wait to pass it down in the family a few (more like 40) years down the road.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:26 PM
DM

My old Krieghoff drilling, that i've been hunting with for many years now, was made in Oct. of 1935. I know the fellow who shall we say, "liberated" it from a castle towards the end of WW2, and the whole story of how he got it back into the states, and up to the point where i bought it from him.

I've shot everything with it from coyote to moose, includeing, ducks, ptmargian, phesants, squirells, bear, black and white trailed deer. And also all kinds of other game animials, includeing the 9 pointer in the picture...

Drilling Man

Old 11-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

i have almost all of my grandfather's and uncle's (he taught me to hunt and shoot) old guns, 2 stories come to mind, one is a parker vh grade 12gauge double that i got for christmas last year from my uncle, when my grandfather came over here in the early 20;s he worked the streets of ny, saved up enough money to move to new haven ct, while deliverin some bootleg gin to a club in new haven, they couldn;t pay him so they gave him the parker shotgun, he shot that gun in countless trap/skeet meets, huntin with it as much as he could, when i got the gun it was covered in cosmoline, i cleaned it all off and noticed two worn spots, one on each barrel right above the foregrip, i looked closer and saw the fingerprints from my grandfather.

the other gun is a war production wather p-38 that my grandfather won in a round of poker with his buddies, my uncle carried that pistol when he was on the vice squad.

that parker was the first shotgun i ever fired and the first shotgun to give me a black eye, and the p38 was the first handgun i ever fired as well.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:22 PM

I have an old bolt action japanese rifle from world war II. my grandfather somehow got it, he was a seabee in okanawa, guam, and tinian. it is very crude, but what is interesting was a few years ago i was watching american shooter on tnn. they had a segment on japanese wwII guns, low and behold they had my gun on it and i learned all about it. the best part was that hirohito ordered all the crisanthemums filed off the top of the action when they surrenedered more or less as a display that they had lost. eisenhower then ordered our boys to file off the flower aswell in respect for the japanese. i checked out my gun and sure enough there was a file mark where the file used to be. makes you wonder whose hands that gun has been in and what it did.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:55 PM

My dad's old lever action .303 Savage. He bought it back in the early 1950s, but it was a used rifle when he bought it. No telling how old it is. I saw that man make shots in the deep woods and in the open fields that to this day make me wonder how in the heck he pulled them off. The gun's so old that one can't even find .303 Savage ammo any longer unless you are willing to pay $40 for a box of ammo that's comparable to a 30-30. The best part: The old man paid an incredible $20 for the gun! Not a bad investment for a 50 year career, I guess.