Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 No exit wound? >

No exit wound?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

No exit wound?

Old 11-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default No exit wound?

I took a buck yesterday, 7 pointer, 185 pounds...

Anyway I hit him just behind the shoulders and approximately 5 inches below his back... He did not show any exit wounds and I could not find the bullet. I was hunting with a 7mm-08, 139 grain Hornaday Light Magnums... The entrance wound was typical. Anyone have any explanations???
Old 11-22-2004, 02:52 PM

Default RE: No exit wound?

I shot a 3 point this weekend... no exit wound either.

Shot him in the neck, quartering towards me. Couldn't find a exit wound either... The guy who processes for me called me and said that he had found the bullet just below the spine... perfect mushroom shaped.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is it lodged between the muscle and hide on the opposite side of the entrance wound? This is a common spot for the bullet to end up if it doesn't pass through. "Pet" the hide on the exit side to see if you can feel a characteristic hard lump under the skin. If you find the lump, that's probably the bullet.

Mike
Old 11-22-2004, 02:57 PM

I shoot a REM 260 and have had a tough time finding exit wounds because I don't usually get one. Typically though I find the bullet when skinning the deer. Have you already skinned him? Did you check the gut pile? In between the cartlidge of the ribs?

PS Nice job with the deer!
Old 11-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

I already took it to be processed and I didn't skin him, but I do remember "feeling" a slight bump where I thought the exit wound would be, I thought it was just a broken rib, it very well could have been the bullet... I know this isn't the board, but since he is the topic of discussion I thought I would include his picture.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with driftrider. Probably just under the skin. You have the right combination for deer hunting. Perfect placement and all the energy was expended in the deer. Well done!!
Old 11-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

I took out both lungs and it appears I grazed the heart... Can you beleive the darn thing ran for almost 100 yards!!!

I never get these things... Everyone says to track the blood trail. I have NEVER seen a blood trail, maybe some hair with a little blood at the point of impact. The only way I ever find my deer is watching them and listening to where they drop. Blood trail my butt! I have shot most of my deer with a shotgun even.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't feel bad I shot a bull elk last weekend with a .338 win mag at about 30-40 yds and there was no exit wound.When I skinned the bull the bullet was up against the hide on the opposite side.

I was shooting a .338 Win Mag with 200 gr. Nosler balistic tips(Not the bullet of Choice for Elk).It did the job and was devastating to him he ran maybe 10 yds.He was still breathing when I walked up on him but he was dead.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not having an exit wound with a shotgun isn't really surprising, I usually get slug sized exit holes in the deer I slug down...in fact, I almost count on NOT having one...lead slugs are soft as can be, they're flat nosed, and they aren't really moving that fast (their energy is dictated by mass, not velocity)...there's not much going for them that would make me think they'll exit. Look at it this way, which is easier to drive into a tree, a 8penny nail, or a railroad spike?

I might also ask what bullet you were using...some bullets fragment and "sail" or tumble terribly in the body, so they'll kind of bounce around, or bend off course, if they fragment much, then you're looking for a little chunk of lead somewhere where you'd least expect it.

If you did feel a bump, then that was probably your bullet, but for future reference, there's really no reason a fragged bullet HAS to go where you think it will.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

I have ALWAYS had exit wounds with my shotgun (4 and counting)... This is the biggest deer in terms of meat I have taken though. That is why I find it so strange not to find blood trails... But those darn things take off pretty fast.

Quick Reply: No exit wound?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.