Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I hate boresighters >

I hate boresighters

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I hate boresighters

Old 11-21-2004, 12:06 PM
bigcountry

Default I hate boresighters

And yes I got a bushnell boresighter. What I hate is going to the range this time of year and hearing all these guys complaining that they just got thier rifle and had it boresighted at Bass Pro, by Mr. optics/Shooting expert, and wondering why its 10-15" off at 100 yards even though they got these stupid see thru rings that sit like 3" off the gun. Then they troll around the range trying to get people to agree with them. I explained it just gets you on the paper. And not unusual for what he is seeing. He looks all discouraged saying "well thats a waste of time, I thought I could go and not even have to fire it and take it hunting". Then I say sarcastically, "yea its a shame you actally have to put some effort into it". I try to explain there's alot of easier ways like looking thru the bore at 20 yards and adjusting from there. Getting it zero'd there and work out to 50 then 100. Not only will it get you zero'd but give you a idea of what happens at 25, 50 and 100 yards. He then looks at me and says, "gosh that will take me an hour or two.

It gives some people a false sense of zero. I always did it the old fashioned way. I use my collimator for a different purpose. I use it now to take on hunting trips to verify zero after a fall or plane ride. I remember zero before I leave and when I get there. I figured out that its a false zero after the fact, and thinking, how can you do this for every gun with different ring hieghts and all.

I had high hopes fro the magnetic Leupold sighter, but disappointed. Basically, they need a chart for different guns and ring hieghts. Then maybe its useful.

Old 11-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I hate boresighters

I'm with ya BC,I have a couple of bore sighters.About all they are good for like you mentioned is to get you on the paper.I've taken my time getting it bore sighted in. Trip to the range shows how much variance there is.Use one if you like but don't depend on it.Go to the range and like you said shoot different distances. That's the only true way to know where she's shooting.As for "See Thru" scope mounts that another story.I have no use for them.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 11-21-2004, 12:51 PM

25, 50 and 100 yards
You'd be surprised how many people I've seen get a new firearm w/scope , go to the range and set there target at 100yds to start out. Then they wonder why they cant get on paper. I wonder if they know those adjustments are on the scope for a reason. I always start out a new scope at 25yds and move out from there. They will sight your gun at the store to get you on paper not zero. It does take speding time with your firearm to get it where you want.

I thought I could go and not even have to fire it and take it hunting
These are the guys that fire off like WW3 is going on and then blame the seller or the firearm for them being lazy.
I've never used a borsighter , just put in the time & effort !
Old 11-21-2004, 01:10 PM
bigcountry

There is a time I like a boresighter. If I am trying to square up mounting a scope with target turrets with those signature series rings with different inserts. I can shoot the gun and set zero. Then go home and use the colimator to remember where its zero'd and then take the scope off and center the scope by going to the extremes and then setting to the middle for elevation and windage. And then mount it with the various inserts to have it centered. This is definatly trial and error. The only problem is if your colimator falls off or you take it off, and then all is null and void. Other than that, I don't use it much.

Old 11-21-2004, 11:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

they suck good for noting ang so many things change, they'' get you on the paper but not ready for the figth or animal , doe yourseldf the fasvour with some range tme
Old 11-22-2004, 12:41 AM

BC,
Per your first post... All too common.

Too many folks in love with the idea of hunting/shooting but want to short cut the reality of marksmanship and hunting at every corner --- maybe they've spent too much time in the corporate grinder.... always looking for the short cut, always looking to put something off on someone else, nothing is ever their fault either.... kinda fun if it wasn't so aggravating.... hunting sorts that crap out rather quickly.... listening to their rationalizations? Yuck! [:'(]

EKM
Old 11-22-2004, 05:44 AM

I've seen and heard guys come into the shop the night before deer opens to 'get bore sighted'

These babies are right on at 100 yds. they'll say to anyone who'll listen.

Ya right, where you going hunting so I'll know where NOT to be.

If they ask me my opinion on the boresighter I tell them, Well, I wouldn't use it on my gun. Half the fun of getting a new gun/scope is taking it out and getting it zeroed.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:05 PM

It's sad but true. I think most if not all of us have heared similar comments from people who don't have the foggiest idea of what they are doing.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:17 PM

BC is right on the money, all they do is get you on paper and recheck zeros providing you know the original offset.

What drove me crazy and forced me to buy one was when the shop who mounted the scope and bore sighted the rifle didn't even get me on paper at 100 yards? They did this twice, lucky that I now double check all my new set ups, I caught their error before going to the range.

The other one I like, our range has hunter sight in days in the fall, hunters show up with these new rifles/scopes and say "Can you sight this in for me? Go ahead it's ok, you can shoot the gun for me." Duh? we got some winners out there, let me tell you.

Without shooting it and some range work you might as well use your rifle to hit the animal over the head with then actually shoot at it.